Re: [FH] Skittles my cat

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2005
      Cindy,

      Does she seem to be uncomfortable? If so, it may be a reason to go to the vet's.

      My only thought is that at her age, she may have a bit of arthritis. Is her litter box big enough for her to move around comfortably? Are the sides too high for her to climb in or is she eliminating when she's outside of the box?

      I've found that my Maine Coon girl has a litter box that's 16" x 22" and she just about fits comfortably.

      I'm sure the other members will have other helpful comments.

      Sue

    • ladycherise@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2005
        I dont think its Arthritis because she jumps well on the bed and chairs
        around the house

      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2005
          Hi Cindy,

          In a message dated 1/7/05 9:46:03 AM, ladycherise@... writes:

          << just for about a
          week now, she is missing her litter box and peeing outside of it and pooping
          outside of it. >>

          It is not uncommon for a cat to do this when trying to get the caregiver's
          attention that something is "wrong." That could be countless issues...from a
          physical issue (eg constipation, urinary infection, diabetes) to a "stress" (eg a
          dog barking down the street, postman coming to the door) to any "change" (eg
          diff. amt of litter, diff. soap to clean the box, diff. detergent to clean the
          floor).

          << has had a few bouts also with pancreatitis >>

          Pancreatitis? How was that treated? What does the cat eat? As the pancreas is
          part of the digestive system, pancreatitis often doesn't exist on its
          own...does the cat have any related issues, eg inflammatory bowel, diabetes, or liver
          issues?

          << what could be the problem >>

          There are many possibilities.

          << and should I take her for an
          emergency vet visit this morning? >>

          It might be good idea to schedule an appt to rule in or out physical issues.
          // Rosemary
        • ladycherise@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2005
            her pancreatitis was diagnosed by ultrasound a few years back and at that
            time she almost died. she was fed nasally with a tube and was in the hospital
            for almost a week hooked up to IV's, she came home with antibiotics and has had
            a few mild occurances since then

          • ladycherise@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
              Ok I took Skittles to the vet yesterday and she had an x ray of her abdomen
              and she had a senior blood panel done of which I will get the results today.
              They also expelled some urine to test and found a lot of white blood cells
              in her urine so she is on an oral antibiotic for that and then retest the urine
              after the antibiotic is finished.
              The xray showed no tumors and so I wont know the rest of the results for the
              blood draw until they call me today with them
              I will keep you updated

              Cindy

            • lclarizia@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 8, 2005
                In a message dated 1/8/2005 2:16:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                ladycherise@... writes:

                > Ok I took Skittles to the vet yesterday and she had an x ray of her abdomen
                > and she had a senior blood panel done of which I will get the results today.
                > They also expelled some urine to test and found a lot of white blood cells
                > in her urine so she is on an oral antibiotic for that and then retest the
                > urine
                > after the antibiotic is finished.

                So they suspect a UTI? How is Skittles doing now?

                Lisa