Re: [FH] Cornish Rex with Heart Murmur question

  • Linda Fischbach
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2005
      Janet, one of our kittens had a heart murmur (we found 4 7-week old kittens
      in our woods in June 2003). The vet wanted a cardiologist to see her
      before she was spayed. That did cost $350, but her heart was completely
      checked out. The cardiologist said that for now it was an innocent murmur,
      but to have the vet check it every 6 months. After this report, my vet
      spayed her for a normal fee.

      Linda

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2005
        In a message dated 1/7/2005 9:35:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        all2soon@... writes:

        > I have a female Cornish Rex who has a heart murmur. The vet says
        > that this could cause complications for spaying her. They want $600+
        > just to spay her! I can't afford that kind of money (she was a gift)
        > and am wondering if anyone has any advice. She is constantly in heat
        > and my nerves are raw! The vet recommended giving her Benadryll to
        > make her sleepy but she hates it...I've tried both liquid and pills
        > (breaking up and adding to her food) and have had no luck whatsoever.
        > I'm at the end of my rope.
        >
        > Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

        Find another vet!

        Anesthetizing a heart kitty is tricky, and the risk is obviously increased
        tremendously. However -- heart kitties can receive anesthesia, it just can't be
        anything cardioreactive, like ketamine. My cat, Baby Boy, has been under
        anesthesia several times for chest taps -- my vet used isofluorane (gas)
        initially, though we have switched over to valium as Baby Boy responds better to it.

        If your cat has a murmur but is otherwise asymptomatic, she should not be at
        terrible risk. Baby Boy's heart is in terrible shape, and he's come through
        it. Your vet is absolutely gouging you -- $600, even for a tricky anesthestic
        candidate, is ursury. Definitely go somewhere else.

        Lisa