OT - Nipping cat

  • Sue B
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2005
      I have a stray cat living in my back yard that I'm trying to socialize so I can get her adopted. All the local shelters say that if she's not friendly, she'll probably just be euthanized. This cat was obviously someone's pet that got lost or abandoned and has had bad experiences with people.

      Because of my HCM girl Pepper who is afraid of other cats, I can't bring "Blaze" into my house but am feeding her & providing shelter.

      Today she finally let me pet her but once she accepted petting, she's started nipping me. She will nip constantly. It has nothing to do if I'm petting her or not. If she can't reach my hand, she nips at my clothes. It's gentle, but constant.

      I want to get this girl a real home. Does anyone know anything about this sort of behavior and what to do about it?

      Thanks,
      Sue

    • Donna M Speckman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 6, 2005
        This sounds like a cat who is easily overstimulated. My Himalyan, Lily,
        used to do the same thing. I had to gently teach her to not nip. I first
        had to recognize that I needed to avoid overexciting her with petting, and
        if she began to nip, I would lower my voice and give her a calm, firm
        "Lily--NO", and then pull back. I also found that if Lily was just too
        overly excited, then I have to help her release some of this energy by
        playing with her (a nice hunk of rope dangled in front of Lily works
        wonders, especially when she is riled up). Over time, Lily eventually
        learned that it was not OK to bite/nip humans, even though I can tell that
        it is difficult for her to control herself at times.

        When you do pet Blaze again, try to be calm and gentle, and stop after a
        little bit to let her calm down. Bring a toy with you for her to play with
        if she gets overexcited and starts nipping at you or your clothes, so she
        will learn that she needs to vent this energy somewhere other than on her
        human. It will take some time, but she will eventually learn that biting
        is not acceptable, and you will learn how much stimulation she can handle
        before she gets out of control. You can then pass this information on to
        any prospective adoptive "parent".
        Good luck,
        Donna and Angels Mooch and Buster, Angel Soulmate Chiquita, and the rest
        of the gang: Rosie, Lily, Natalie, and Pablo