Re: [FH] OT: My boss had a heart attack

  • Jay Bangle
    Message 1 of 94 , Jan 5, 2005
      Yes. Mammal hearts are very similar. So dog, cat, human, monkey, pig
      hearts all act more or less the same and have more or less the same
      anatomy.

      Right side deals with UNoxygenated blood coming from the body. The
      atrium (top chamber) of the right side collects the blood from the
      body, then transfers it to the right side ventricle (bottom chamber).
      This transfer is heard as the "lub" of the normal "lub-dub" sound.
      The valve between those two chambers is the tri-cuspid valve. The
      ventricle then pumps the unoxygenated blood to the lungs (*dub*). It
      gathers oxygen, dumps off the waste carbon dioxide and then returns to
      the heart's LEFT atrium. Which essentially does exactly the same thing
      as the right atrium, transferring the oxygenated blood to the left
      ventricle which then pumps the oxygenated blood to the body.

      If you have a problem on the right side - it is not as big a deal. We
      are, after all, dealing with waste products and unoxygenated, blood.
      But the LEFT side is pumping oxygen to the body, and if there is a
      problem, then the body and all its components are not getting oxygen.
      BIG deal!

      Jay

      On Jan 5, 2005, at 3:25 PM, Susan wrote:

      > From all my reading of cardiology articles I have
      > gotten the impression that most serious disfunction is
      > seen when the left ventricle is impaired. In addition
      > left ventricle disfunction results in left sided heart
      > failure which results in fluid in the lungs. In
      > contrast right ventricular disfunction=right sided
      > heart failure and that means edema or swollen ankles
      > and feet.
      >
      > I also found some reference to the left coronary
      > artery being blocked being worse than right coronary
      > artery blockage.
      >
      > Susan
    • Barbara Piderit
      Message 94 of 94 , Jan 14
        Hi, Cindy,

        My Idgie has been taking Aktivait Cat, which contains CoQ10, as a "brain" vitamin for almost 5 years, for cognitive dysfunction.  She is 21-1/2yo.

        She has also been taking amlodipine SID and atenolol BID, under the guidance of the HoD, Cardiology, at the veterinary school in Berne (Switzerland) for 18 months.  The cardiologist knew/knows Idgie was getting/gets CoQ10 and never suggested that I separate the supplement from the heart meds, which I give Idgie to control high blood pressure due to her ISIS Stage 2 CKD and tachycardia, probably due to old age.  (She also needs help maintaining a normal body temperature, probably due to her age, so she always has access to gentle heat.  I have never seen evidence of any side effects from giving these meds at the same time.

        Head butts,

        Barbara & Idgie