CoQ10

  • Marjorie Blaine
    Message 1 of 94 , Jan 3, 2005

      >Just wondering if anyone has used CoQ10 and can tell a difference in
      >your cat's health? I'm planning on starting my RCM cat Lucy on it
      >and curious as to what doses are being used? Is it possible to give
      >too much? Lucy weighs about 6.5 lbs.
      >
      >Thanks,
      > -- Amy

      Hi Amy

      My Max takes CoQ10--30 mg/twice daily. He weighs 12 lbs. He has HCM, not
      RCM, and with the other nutraceuticals he takes plus atenolol, his heart
      measurements have actually improved but he was also diagnosed very, very
      early. My holistic vet firmly believes in the benefits of CoQ10 for the
      heart and so do I. I'm not sure if you can give too much but I don't think
      even the dose Max is on would be too much for your kitty; however, I would
      check with your vet to be sure.

      Marjorie
      Sitka,Teddi,Gus,and Max

      Max: 7 year old neutered male Scottish Fold; idiopathic primary HCM
      diagnosed 12/2003; asymptomatic (normal bp, pulse, heart rate, resp.), grade
      2 heart murmur, ventricular arrhythmia (controlled at this time); very
      slight mitral valve and atrial thickening; treatment regimen: 30 mg CoQ10
      2/day, 50 mg pycnogenol 2/day, 1 dan shen pian herbal anti-coagulant 2/day;
      6.25 mg atenolol 1/day; fish oil
    • Barbara Piderit
      Message 94 of 94 , Jan 14
        Hi, Cindy,

        My Idgie has been taking Aktivait Cat, which contains CoQ10, as a "brain" vitamin for almost 5 years, for cognitive dysfunction.  She is 21-1/2yo.

        She has also been taking amlodipine SID and atenolol BID, under the guidance of the HoD, Cardiology, at the veterinary school in Berne (Switzerland) for 18 months.  The cardiologist knew/knows Idgie was getting/gets CoQ10 and never suggested that I separate the supplement from the heart meds, which I give Idgie to control high blood pressure due to her ISIS Stage 2 CKD and tachycardia, probably due to old age.  (She also needs help maintaining a normal body temperature, probably due to her age, so she always has access to gentle heat.  I have never seen evidence of any side effects from giving these meds at the same time.

        Head butts,

        Barbara & Idgie