Re: [FH] oxygen again

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2005
      In a message dated 1/1/2005 3:26:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      katesilverstein@... writes:

      > tho if anyone could tell me the difference between getting an e-tank and
      > getting a whole oxygen compressor. is it just the portability factor? i
      > would
      > like to get one of these and am just trying to figure out the best one to
      > suit
      > mine and izzy's needs but am not sure of the benefits or shortcomings of the
      > different systems. any info would be greatly appreciated!

      Deena's summary was excellent so no need to add to it, except to thank her
      again for her generosity in lending me her set-up ... it really does make a huge
      difference, even just knowing it's here. Bless her and Mr. Pepe a hundred
      times over, as well as whatever Cat-Gods which led me to this list which
      happened to have as a member a generous person with an 02 cage to lend a few towns
      over.

      The only thing I would add -- and this is the lab safety officer speaking --
      gas tanks need to be secured to a wall or large piece of furniture that will
      not tip over. If a tank should fall and the stem of the tank break, you have a
      missile, and I have personally seen this happen in a laboratory setting -- a
      small, non-secured nitrogen tank tipped over, the regulator caught and the
      stem broke, many pounds of compressed gas escaped and the tank went right through
      a wall. A nylon belt with a cinch closure is fine for this, or even a
      regular belt. Just be certain it's secure. If you are renting it, the rental place
      can probably help you with this.

      I prefer a concentrator for home use, because all you do is switch it on.
      You don't have to fuss with regulators or worry about it running out. I've had
      it on for days at a time with no problem.

      Lisa