Re: oxygen again

  • Deena
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "k_silverstein"
      <katesilverstein@h...> wrote: could tell me the difference between
      getting an e-tank and getting a whole oxygen compressor. is it just
      the portability factor? i would like to get one of these and am
      just trying to figure out the best one to suit mine and izzy's needs
      but am not sure of the benefits or shortcomings of the different
      systems.

      Hi Kate,

      Below is a summary of the different types of O2 systems available.
      Only you can decide what works best for you, given your individual
      situation. But basically, the advantage of an e-tank is it is
      cheap. The downside is that you have to get it refilled and they
      only last a few hours, so you often need more than 1. A
      concentrator is simple to use and provides continuous O2 as long as
      you have electricity. They are much more expensive, but you can
      find used ones on e-bay (hobby use) or sometimes at garage sales. I
      took a vari 200 size crate and taped up the windows with clear
      plastic. I attached the plastic to the front door with velcro which
      gives an easy in/out operation. The tubing I ran through the
      window. The system is VERY easy to use as Lisa has said. When not
      needed, it all nests together and doesn't take up much space. A
      vari 200 gives a small cat adequate room to move around and sit up
      with a small litterbox. A 300 size would work better for a large
      cat if he was in for a long time.

      I chose to go the concentrator route because it best fit my
      lifestyle. I used to sell pneumatic surgical instruments and know
      what a pain tanks can be to maintain and lug around. With a
      concentrator, you just turn the thing on and it starts making O2.
      No maintenance. Yes, it's more expensive, but it paid for itself
      after the 1st trip it saved me from heading to the ER. I could have
      easily recouped my investment when Mr Pepe died since I had several
      folks begging to buy my set up. I chose to hang onto it. During
      the short time I fought Mr P's CHF, it saved me at least 6 trips to
      the ER when all they would have done is pump him with lasix and
      throw in oxygen. I could do that at home with no stress to cat,
      human or wallet. It made a huge difference in my ability to manage
      his disease while maintaining his quality of life that was so
      important to me. He would be on deaths door, I'd throw him in his
      cage for an hour, and he'd be begging to go out and climb trees.
      While my plan was to use it for crisis only, I also found myself
      using it preventatively. Mr Pepe knew when he needed an O2 boost
      and would go sit by his cage. I'd put him in until he wanted to
      come out...usually 10-15 minutes. Investing in an O2 was probably
      the smartest thing I did in terms of quality of life for both him
      and I.

      As for portability, I had a 3 LPM concentrator which is relatively
      light and portable and provides adequate oxygen. I snagged a good
      deal on e-bay and they sent me all the disposables and accessories
      that I needed. So even though it was sold as hobby-use, it came
      from a medical supplier who offered pointers on using for a cat.

      Here's the sales pitch on the model I have: "DeVilbiss has taken
      one of the world's most reliable pressure-vacuum oxygen
      concentrators and downsized it into one of the most light, compact
      and easy to transport three-liter oxygen concentrators available.
      This model is exceptionally small and light making it ideal for
      those who require a unit they can travel with, who do not have much
      space for a concentrator, or who cannot carry a heavier unit. Add
      the optional wiring harness and DC inverter kit and you can travel
      the country in your car, without the constant hassle and worry of a
      backseat full of oxygen tanks or having to get refills in every
      major city. Just plug the DeVilbiss Portable Oxygen Concentrator
      into the DC inverter, turn it on, and you have a constant supply of
      oxygen in your car!"

      Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions,

      Deena

      OXYGEN DELIVERY OPTIONS:

      OXYGEN CONCENTRATORS
      An oxygen concentrator is an electrical device that extracts oxygen
      from room air. It works on the principle that room air contains 21%
      oxygen and 79% nitrogen. The concentrator draws in room air and
      filters out the nitrogen, leaving nearly pure oxygen to be delivered
      to the user. It is the ideal device for use while at home, as long
      as the liter flow prescribed is relatively low. Physicians prescribe
      many users to use about 2 liters per minute of flow. Oxygen
      concentrators require very little maintenance and will provide
      oxygen as long as there is electricity to power it. During a power
      failure, back-up tanks of compressed oxygen are used. If an
      individual travels outside the home frequently, some sort of
      portable oxygen system must be used. Many individuals who use oxygen
      concentrators will note an increase in their electric bill. A
      concentrator uses about as much electricity as a small air
      conditioner or color TV that is running continuously. The oxygen
      concentrator is the most commonly used home oxygen system.

      COMPRESSED OXYGEN TANKS:
      An E-tank will last about 5 hours when used at a flow of 2 liters
      per minute. Smaller tanks are available, but do not last as long.
      Portable oxygen tanks are the most commonly used method of providing
      oxygen outside the home. D or E cylinders. Easy to throw in the back
      of a car, can be refilled at welding shops. E cylinder lasts about
      2.5 hrs on 2 lpm, You can get aluminum (i.e., lightweight) D and E
      cylinders. H Cylinders = 2.3 days at 2LPM

      LIQUID OXYGEN SYSTEMS
      Portable units last two to three times longer than tanks and are
      about half the weight. A portable unit will weigh about 8 pounds
      when full and last about 8 hours at a flow of 2 liters per minute.
      Liquid oxygen systems are ideal for users who are out of the home
      frequently or for longer periods of time.
      Liquid oxygen systems are designed for home use. By taking gaseous
      oxygen and chilling it down to about 300 degrees below zero, we are
      able to make oxygen into a liquid form. The advantage of the liquid
      form of oxygen is that you can store more than 800 times as much
      liquid oxygen in the same space as gaseous oxygen. These units work
      by gradually letting some of the liquid oxygen warm up, turn to gas,
      and be used as a gas flowing from the main or portable unit. No
      electricity is required for these systems to work. The base units
      weigh more than 100 pounds and must be filled at the home with
      special equipment. Liquid oxygen systems consist of two distinct
      pieces of equipment: One is simply a smaller version of the other.
      Since the liquid oxygen is so cold, the base unit in the home is
      really a very large insulated bottle (similar to a ThermosĀ®). The
      portable unit is a small insulated bottle (similar to a ThermosĀ®)
      that can be filled from the larger base unit. Usually, once a week a
      truck comes to the home to fill the base unit with liquid oxygen;
      then the user can use the oxygen at the liter flow prescribed by his
      or her physician. When the user needs to travel outside the home, he
      or she simply attaches the portable unit to the base unit to fill
      the portable with liquid oxygen. Portable units last two to three
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "k_silverstein"
        <katesilverstein@h...> wrote: i was wondering if anyone could tell
        me the difference between getting an e-tank and getting a whole
        oxygen compressor. I am not sure of the benefits or shortcomings of
        the different systems.

        I'm forwarding over a reply I received privately regarding Kate's
        question on oxygen delivery systems. I've had several people
        contact me with questions, so the topic seems more general in nature
        and worth discussing publicly. While a concentrator works best for
        myself and Lisa, there are other options available. Anyes is the
        first to speak out in favor of using tanks. Are there others out
        there who are using different approaches, and what do you like,
        dislike, etc?

        Tanks may be a good option for some and should be explored. I do
        have to echo Lisa's concern over safety. I have seen a nitrogen
        tank fall over and take out a cinderblock wall, so they *can* become
        a missile if they tip and the top snaps off. OTOH, there are safety
        features that are often installed when these tanks are used for home
        rather than industrial use. Concentrators are loud and can add
        additional stress to an already stressed-out cat. I minimized this
        by:
        1. Using long tubing so the concentrator is far from the cage
        2. Put a sound-deadening blanket over the concentrator but make sure
        to keep the intake & filter area open
        3. Spray Rescue Remedy in the O2 tube which acts as calming
        aromatherapy as oxygen comes in the cage
        4. Turn on (loud beep) and let the cage fill shortly while the cat
        is in another room. Then pop the kitty in the cage.
        After a few times, Mr Pepe put up with the noise because the oxygen
        made him feel sooo much better, but he was also a very calm kitty.

        No system is perfect. You have to figure out tricks to overcome the
        negatives and maximize the positives. It all comes down to looking
        at the options and deciding what works best for your individual
        situation...like most things in life.

        Yes Lisa...I am very aware of your appreciation. Mr Pepe's purpose
        in life & death is to assist me in helping others. I'm just doing
        what he's guiding me to do. You are welcome!!!

        From: "Anyes Moscrip" <anyes@...>
        We got compressed oxygen. A container holds thousands of liters of
        oxygen. We never had to refill it and it lasted over a year. The
        refill cost $35. Beside the low cost, the other advantage is that
        it is completely silent. The compressor is noisy and could disturb
        some cats sensitive to the noise.

        Anyes and the girls