oxygen again

  • k_silverstein
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
      thanks all for the info on in home oxygen systems. i was wondering
      tho if anyone could tell me the difference between getting an e-tank and
      getting a whole oxygen compressor. is it just the portability factor? i would
      like to get one of these and am just trying to figure out the best one to suit
      mine and izzy's needs but am not sure of the benefits or shortcomings of the
      different systems. any info would be greatly appreciated!
      happy new year
      thanks
      kate
    • Deena
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2005
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "k_silverstein"
        <katesilverstein@h...> wrote: could tell me the difference between
        getting an e-tank and getting a whole oxygen compressor. is it just
        the portability factor? i would like to get one of these and am
        just trying to figure out the best one to suit mine and izzy's needs
        but am not sure of the benefits or shortcomings of the different
        systems.

        Hi Kate,

        Below is a summary of the different types of O2 systems available.
        Only you can decide what works best for you, given your individual
        situation. But basically, the advantage of an e-tank is it is
        cheap. The downside is that you have to get it refilled and they
        only last a few hours, so you often need more than 1. A
        concentrator is simple to use and provides continuous O2 as long as
        you have electricity. They are much more expensive, but you can
        find used ones on e-bay (hobby use) or sometimes at garage sales. I
        took a vari 200 size crate and taped up the windows with clear
        plastic. I attached the plastic to the front door with velcro which
        gives an easy in/out operation. The tubing I ran through the
        window. The system is VERY easy to use as Lisa has said. When not
        needed, it all nests together and doesn't take up much space. A
        vari 200 gives a small cat adequate room to move around and sit up
        with a small litterbox. A 300 size would work better for a large
        cat if he was in for a long time.

        I chose to go the concentrator route because it best fit my
        lifestyle. I used to sell pneumatic surgical instruments and know
        what a pain tanks can be to maintain and lug around. With a
        concentrator, you just turn the thing on and it starts making O2.
        No maintenance. Yes, it's more expensive, but it paid for itself
        after the 1st trip it saved me from heading to the ER. I could have
        easily recouped my investment when Mr Pepe died since I had several
        folks begging to buy my set up. I chose to hang onto it. During
        the short time I fought Mr P's CHF, it saved me at least 6 trips to
        the ER when all they would have done is pump him with lasix and
        throw in oxygen. I could do that at home with no stress to cat,
        human or wallet. It made a huge difference in my ability to manage
        his disease while maintaining his quality of life that was so
        important to me. He would be on deaths door, I'd throw him in his
        cage for an hour, and he'd be begging to go out and climb trees.
        While my plan was to use it for crisis only, I also found myself
        using it preventatively. Mr Pepe knew when he needed an O2 boost
        and would go sit by his cage. I'd put him in until he wanted to
        come out...usually 10-15 minutes. Investing in an O2 was probably
        the smartest thing I did in terms of quality of life for both him
        and I.

        As for portability, I had a 3 LPM concentrator which is relatively
        light and portable and provides adequate oxygen. I snagged a good
        deal on e-bay and they sent me all the disposables and accessories
        that I needed. So even though it was sold as hobby-use, it came
        from a medical supplier who offered pointers on using for a cat.

        Here's the sales pitch on the model I have: "DeVilbiss has taken
        one of the world's most reliable pressure-vacuum oxygen
        concentrators and downsized it into one of the most light, compact
        and easy to transport three-liter oxygen concentrators available.
        This model is exceptionally small and light making it ideal for
        those who require a unit they can travel with, who do not have much
        space for a concentrator, or who cannot carry a heavier unit. Add
        the optional wiring harness and DC inverter kit and you can travel
        the country in your car, without the constant hassle and worry of a
        backseat full of oxygen tanks or having to get refills in every
        major city. Just plug the DeVilbiss Portable Oxygen Concentrator
        into the DC inverter, turn it on, and you have a constant supply of
        oxygen in your car!"

        Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions,

        Deena

        OXYGEN DELIVERY OPTIONS:

        OXYGEN CONCENTRATORS
        An oxygen concentrator is an electrical device that extracts oxygen
        from room air. It works on the principle that room air contains 21%
        oxygen and 79% nitrogen. The concentrator draws in room air and
        filters out the nitrogen, leaving nearly pure oxygen to be delivered
        to the user. It is the ideal device for use while at home, as long
        as the liter flow prescribed is relatively low. Physicians prescribe
        many users to use about 2 liters per minute of flow. Oxygen
        concentrators require very little maintenance and will provide
        oxygen as long as there is electricity to power it. During a power
        failure, back-up tanks of compressed oxygen are used. If an
        individual travels outside the home frequently, some sort of
        portable oxygen system must be used. Many individuals who use oxygen
        concentrators will note an increase in their electric bill. A
        concentrator uses about as much electricity as a small air
        conditioner or color TV that is running continuously. The oxygen
        concentrator is the most commonly used home oxygen system.

        COMPRESSED OXYGEN TANKS:
        An E-tank will last about 5 hours when used at a flow of 2 liters
        per minute. Smaller tanks are available, but do not last as long.
        Portable oxygen tanks are the most commonly used method of providing
        oxygen outside the home. D or E cylinders. Easy to throw in the back
        of a car, can be refilled at welding shops. E cylinder lasts about
        2.5 hrs on 2 lpm, You can get aluminum (i.e., lightweight) D and E
        cylinders. H Cylinders = 2.3 days at 2LPM

        LIQUID OXYGEN SYSTEMS
        Portable units last two to three times longer than tanks and are
        about half the weight. A portable unit will weigh about 8 pounds
        when full and last about 8 hours at a flow of 2 liters per minute.
        Liquid oxygen systems are ideal for users who are out of the home
        frequently or for longer periods of time.
        Liquid oxygen systems are designed for home use. By taking gaseous
        oxygen and chilling it down to about 300 degrees below zero, we are
        able to make oxygen into a liquid form. The advantage of the liquid
        form of oxygen is that you can store more than 800 times as much
        liquid oxygen in the same space as gaseous oxygen. These units work
        by gradually letting some of the liquid oxygen warm up, turn to gas,
        and be used as a gas flowing from the main or portable unit. No
        electricity is required for these systems to work. The base units
        weigh more than 100 pounds and must be filled at the home with
        special equipment. Liquid oxygen systems consist of two distinct
        pieces of equipment: One is simply a smaller version of the other.
        Since the liquid oxygen is so cold, the base unit in the home is
        really a very large insulated bottle (similar to a ThermosĀ®). The
        portable unit is a small insulated bottle (similar to a ThermosĀ®)
        that can be filled from the larger base unit. Usually, once a week a
        truck comes to the home to fill the base unit with liquid oxygen;
        then the user can use the oxygen at the liter flow prescribed by his
        or her physician. When the user needs to travel outside the home, he
        or she simply attaches the portable unit to the base unit to fill
        the portable with liquid oxygen. Portable units last two to three
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2005
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "k_silverstein"
          <katesilverstein@h...> wrote: i was wondering if anyone could tell
          me the difference between getting an e-tank and getting a whole
          oxygen compressor. I am not sure of the benefits or shortcomings of
          the different systems.

          I'm forwarding over a reply I received privately regarding Kate's
          question on oxygen delivery systems. I've had several people
          contact me with questions, so the topic seems more general in nature
          and worth discussing publicly. While a concentrator works best for
          myself and Lisa, there are other options available. Anyes is the
          first to speak out in favor of using tanks. Are there others out
          there who are using different approaches, and what do you like,
          dislike, etc?

          Tanks may be a good option for some and should be explored. I do
          have to echo Lisa's concern over safety. I have seen a nitrogen
          tank fall over and take out a cinderblock wall, so they *can* become
          a missile if they tip and the top snaps off. OTOH, there are safety
          features that are often installed when these tanks are used for home
          rather than industrial use. Concentrators are loud and can add
          additional stress to an already stressed-out cat. I minimized this
          by:
          1. Using long tubing so the concentrator is far from the cage
          2. Put a sound-deadening blanket over the concentrator but make sure
          to keep the intake & filter area open
          3. Spray Rescue Remedy in the O2 tube which acts as calming
          aromatherapy as oxygen comes in the cage
          4. Turn on (loud beep) and let the cage fill shortly while the cat
          is in another room. Then pop the kitty in the cage.
          After a few times, Mr Pepe put up with the noise because the oxygen
          made him feel sooo much better, but he was also a very calm kitty.

          No system is perfect. You have to figure out tricks to overcome the
          negatives and maximize the positives. It all comes down to looking
          at the options and deciding what works best for your individual
          situation...like most things in life.

          Yes Lisa...I am very aware of your appreciation. Mr Pepe's purpose
          in life & death is to assist me in helping others. I'm just doing
          what he's guiding me to do. You are welcome!!!

          From: "Anyes Moscrip" <anyes@...>
          We got compressed oxygen. A container holds thousands of liters of
          oxygen. We never had to refill it and it lasted over a year. The
          refill cost $35. Beside the low cost, the other advantage is that
          it is completely silent. The compressor is noisy and could disturb
          some cats sensitive to the noise.

          Anyes and the girls