Hotspur's cardiology report

  • mahedabel
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hi. Hotspur has had 6 echocardiograms since Nov of 1999. The last
      one was this past Nov 9. This is what the report that they faxed to
      our general vet says:

      Physical exam: HR=132 bpm RR=22/min
      Normal heart sounds. Normal lung sounds and respiratory effort. Mild
      jugular distension is present. Pink mucous membranes with a CRT of <
      1 second. Normal femoral pulses. Abdominal palpation is
      unremarkable.

      Radiographs: Severe generalized cardiomegaly with normal pulmonary
      vasculature and parenchyma. The caudal vena cava is distended.

      ECG: Normal sinus rhythm during the study.

      M-Mode Measurements:
      LADs 1.96 cm
      Ao 1.06 cm
      LA/AO 1.85
      LVDd 1.62 cm
      LVDs 0.74 cm
      LVPWd 0.37 cm
      LVPWs 0.87 cm
      IVSd 0.31 cm
      IVSs 0.45 cm
      %FS 54.46 %
      LVEF 0.91

      Interpretation: 2-D echo demonstrates the presence of changes
      similar to those previously documented with a tremendous increase in
      right atrial size since the 1/04 evaluation. The right ventricle has
      increased moderately in size. Ventricular myocardial function
      remains normal. Color flow Doppler interrogation demonstrates an
      extremely small jet of tricuspid regurgitation. All other flow
      regions are normal. The pericardium is normal. The caudal vena cava
      and hepatic veins are markedly distended. The overall evaluation
      demonstrates the presence of restrictive cardiomyopathy with a
      dramatic increase in right heart size and evidence of passive
      abdominal congestion. The passive congestion probably contributes to
      the decrease in appetite and also places Hotspur at risk for ascites
      or pleural effusion.

      And that's all it says except to start on Spironolactone and have
      renal function rechecked in 3-4 weeks, which we are doing next week.

      Do you think this is RCM, or what do you think it might be? If
      anybody has any suggestions as to what I should do for Hotspur,
      please let me know!

      Thank you all very much!

      Michelle & Hotspur
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2004
        > Do you think this is RCM, or what do you think it might be?

        If the report says it's RCM, then it probably is RCM. But what I'm
        wondering is if he was diagnosed with RCM 5 years ago, or if he was
        just diagnosed with RCM on this latest ultrasound.

        > If
        > anybody has any suggestions as to what I should do for Hotspur,
        > please let me know!

        Make sure he gets his meds and lots of TLC. Monitor his breathing -
        become familiar with his normal breathing pattern and rate when he's
        resting so you'll recognize a change. There's no magic bullet for
        this, so it's a matter of monitoring Hotspur's health and making
        sure he's comfortable.

        Sarah.
      • mahedabel
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2004
          Hi. The second echo report says stuff about biatrial enlargement and
          a resloution of the dynamic LV outflow obstruction on the beta
          blocker but doesn't specifically say rcm. The third and fourth
          reports say "the study demonstrates the presence of mild to
          moderately severe and extremely stable restrictive cardiomyopathy"
          and the fifth one says "the overall evaluation demonstrates the
          presence of relatively stable and well compensated restrictive
          cardiomyopathy". So maybe it didn't start out as RCM.

          Thank you for your help. I'm gonna just keep reading about this so
          at least I can understand it better.

          michelle

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>