acute difficulty breathing - HCM?

  • timbysmommy
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      Hi everyone,

      Is acute dyspnea a sign of cardiomyopathy in anyone's experience? I
      lost a cat on Thanksgiving. A few days prior, he developed sudden
      rapid breathing. The emergency vet insisted it was his asthma, even
      though I told her he usually coughs with asthma and does not breathe
      so fast (RR was 80). This was not like any asthma atack he had ever
      had and his asthma had been stable for years. She did not address my
      concerns and did no cardia tests (ekg, ultrasound, blood pressure).
      In addition, he had inspiratory difficulty, not expiratory, which is
      classic asthma. He stabilized only because he was in oxygen for
      almost 2 days. He came home for 2 days and then it happened again.
      Within a few hours of when I took him back to the vet, he had
      pulmonary edema with galloping rhythm and the vet thought it was
      thromboembolisms. Lasix was not effective in removing the fluid and
      we had to put him down to end his suffering. Everything I have read
      suggests that sudden episodes of difficult breathing are very
      suggestive of HCM/DCM. Has anyone experienced this?

      Thanks in advance for any information. I am heartbroken at the loss
      of my baby, and it is especially difficult to know that his
      misdiagnosis was probably responsible for his death.

      Timby's mommy and Sweet Angel Timby
    • Michele Briasco-Brin
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004
        Dear Timby's Mom,

        I am so very sorry for your loss. I know that there aren't any words
        adequate enough to take away your pain.
        The loss of your beloved cat is more heartache than you should have to bear
        and I can't even imagine what it must feel like to have it compounded with
        what may have been a veterinary misdiagnosis.

        I am new here as well and joined when I lost my cat suddenly at the
        beginning of November. Unfortunately there were no warning signs or
        breathing difficulties. My boy literally just collapsed and died in my arms
        on the way to the vet. I only thought that if I got him there in time it
        would be okay. But I have heard countless stories already (including
        Timby's) that show getting to the vet still isn't a guarantee. From the
        research I have done so far, open mouth / difficulty breathing is a symptom
        of heart disease. But I am sure also symptomatic of other conditions.

        This is such a terrible, unforgiving disease. I wish you could have been
        spared this pain. I hope in time for both of us our palpable pain will be
        replaced with memories of happy times we had with our furbabies. Your boy
        Timby has a spirit friend in my boy Cernunnos.

        Please know that you are in my thoughts. This is a wonderful, caring group.
        They have truly been a lifeline for me in my grief.

        Love and light,
        Michele
        (Cernunnos 3/8/03-11/6/04)

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2004