benazepril

  • Akylina Samara
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2004
      Hi!
      I was wondering if someone has experience with ACE inhibitor benazepril
      (commercial name Fortekor here in Europe, Lotensin in USA I think).
      I have been reading some information about it on the net, as well as
      possible side-effects (I read that the creatine and phosphorus levels
      might rise) , but I would really appreciate any direct experience with
      this medication.

      My 7 year old male cat with mild CFR is going to begin on it on Monday,
      and I would like to know what to be aware of. The vet said the cat has
      to be checked every 6 months in order to monitor his condition, but
      after reading about benazapril, I 'm wondering whether some blood tests
      have to be taken much earlier than that...(the cat has been otherwise on
      home-made raw diet + vitamins + enzymes for the past 3 months).

      Best regards,

      Akylina
    • Akylina Samara
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2004
        Sorry for the bother again, I ment the cat has HCM and not CFR....

        Akylina Samara wrote:

        >Hi!
        >I was wondering if someone has experience with ACE inhibitor benazepril
        >(commercial name Fortekor here in Europe, Lotensin in USA I think).
        >I have been reading some information about it on the net, as well as
        >possible side-effects (I read that the creatine and phosphorus levels
        >might rise) , but I would really appreciate any direct experience with
        >this medication.
        >
        >My 7 year old male cat with mild CFR is going to begin on it on Monday,
        >and I would like to know what to be aware of. The vet said the cat has
        >to be checked every 6 months in order to monitor his condition, but
        >after reading about benazapril, I 'm wondering whether some blood tests
        >have to be taken much earlier than that...(the cat has been otherwise on
        >home-made raw diet + vitamins + enzymes for the past 3 months).
        >

        >Best regards,
        >
        >Akylina
        >

        >Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Deena
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2004
          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Akylina Samara <akylinas@b...>
          wrote: I was wondering if someone has experience with ACE inhibitor
          benazepril (commercial name Fortekor here in Europe, Lotensin in USA
          I think). I read that the creatine and phosphorus levels might
          rise) My 7 year old male cat with mild CFR is going to begin on it
          on Monday. I 'm wondering whether some blood tests have to be taken
          much earlier than that...(the cat has been otherwise on home-made
          raw diet + vitamins + enzymes for the past 3 months).

          Hi Akylina,

          I would get a blood panel run before you start the benazepril. No
          personal experience with the drug, but I have seen vets freak a
          little with what is perceived to be high kidney values in a raw fed
          pet. I would want to have a baseline so that you know what is
          normal for your individual cat. Present "normals" are based on
          kibble fed pets. Dr Dodds is finding that the "normals" of raw fed
          dogs may actually be slightly higher and it's nothing to worry
          about. Creatine is one she is finding tends to be slightly
          elevated. Phosphorus could also be slightly high if you are not
          feeding enough bone which is often easy to do with cats. By getting
          a baseline now, you could potentially be saving yourself some
          heartache later on if abnormal values are caused by diet rather than
          the medication. Just my 2 cents and my opinion.

          Deena (who's raw fed pets all seem to have normal blood work. But I
          know others who vets have started treatment when the values are
          actually "normal" for that particular pet.)
        • brinkett
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2004
            > I was wondering if someone has experience with ACE inhibitor
            benazepril
            > (commercial name Fortekor here in Europe,

            Also in Canada.

            Yes, my cat was on benazepril and it worked very well for her. I'm
            a little concerned that your cat will only be checked 6 months after
            starting it. Cats should have their electrolyte levels checked
            about a week after starting *any* heart medication (also a week
            after any change in dose). So please speak to your vet about that.

            The other thing to watch for once your cat starts it is lethargy.
            Cats can become lethargic on an ACE inhibitor and if they do, the
            dose may have to be cut.

            One positive about benazapril is that it's supposed to be easier on
            the kidneys than other ACE inhibitors.

            Sarah.