Coco

  • Cindy B
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
      I dont know if the vet was bullsh**ing me or not but she told me by
      law in Calif puppies and kittens have to be given Rabies inoculations
      by 4 months of age, well Coco isnt even 4 months yet hes 3 1/2
      months,
      The vet insisted he has to have them now.. well when I took coco back
      to the vet with his reaction to it I told them he would not be
      getting any more shots like that all lumped togeather
      She is also insisting that Kahn my 4 month old German Shepard get his
      Rabies now too and I refuse now, I called his breeder and he also
      said 6 months I told the vet that and she thinks thats a bunch of
      bunk. She says its safe yeh well its not always so Im going to be
      leery now with vets
      I called for an update on Coco and he may have to stay overnight, his
      fever came down tho I feel like telling them since they caused the
      reaction that I am not paying for it..
      Cindy
    • molly
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
        You might want to check this link out:
        http://www.oda.state.or.us/ahid/animal_health/cl_dog&catPrint.html ...
        according to this info. Rabies shots for cats are only "recommended" in
        California. I don't know how accurate the info. is... but I asked my vet
        about it, saying I had read research indicating that rabies for cats was not
        required in Calif. His answer was that it varies by county ... and that in
        MY county it IS required ... lol. So I didn't win the argument, but happen
        to have a good vet who says he can't legally tell me not to give my indoor
        only cats rabies vaccinations, but if we just don't do it, it was fine by
        him. Of course if you are going to be traveling across state lines with
        your cat... you definitely need the shots. I think it might be worth
        looking into any age requirements for the shot ... she just might be
        bullsh**ing you, or maybe doesn't know....

        Molly

        DragonTree Art
        Mythicbells Persians
[...]

        feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

      • ladycherise@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
          Molly ok thanks alot I appreciate that info

        • lclarizia@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 15, 2004
            In a message dated 11/15/2004 6:16:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            ladycherise@... writes:

            > She is also insisting that Kahn my 4 month old German Shepard get his
            > Rabies now too and I refuse now, I called his breeder and he also
            > said 6 months I told the vet that and she thinks thats a bunch of
            > bunk. She says its safe yeh well its not always so Im going to be
            > leery now with vets

            You're the customer, don't forget, and that can't be the only vet you could
            take your babies to. Also, any law regarding this should be available on the
            net, I'd look it up, and many states have medical exceptions. Besides, since
            most animals don't have birth records, these laws are a joke in terms of age
            limits and enforcing them -- many just require vets treating animals to ensure
            the animal has had a rabies vaccination within a certain time frame (i.e. a
            year).

            > I called for an update on Coco and he may have to stay overnight, his
            > fever came down tho I feel like telling them since they caused the
            > reaction that I am not paying for it..

            I would tell them that. While many cats can tolerate multi-vaccination, it
            ISN'T always safe for some cats and there's a warning to that effect on the
            nice little insert that comes with the vaccines.

            Lisa

          • savionna@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 16, 2004
              Hi Cindy,

              In a message dated 11/15/04 6:16:32 PM, ladycherise@... writes:

              << I dont know if the vet was bullsh**ing me or not but she told me by

              law in Calif puppies and kittens have to be given Rabies inoculations

              by 4 months of age >>

              I don't know the law in your state or municipality. But that information
              should be available to citizens. If it is not readily available on the net, then
              it may be helpful to call the town hall or courthouse or wherever your local
              government is located...and start tracking down the current law regarding rabies
              vaccination in your specific municipality.

              In the US, in general, the *only* vaccination that is *required* by law is
              rabies. The time interval varies by municipality or state: generally either 1 yr
              or 3 yrs. It is possible thruout the US to *exempt* animals from vaccination
              b/c of chronic illness. If a caregiver elects to seek an exemption, then the
              caregiver must also be informed about the *consequences* of not vaccinating an
              animal, if that animal is ever involved in a bite incident. Consequences range
              from simple home quarantine to euthanasia.

              << The vet insisted he has to have them now >>

              The vet can "insist" on anything he/she desires. But *you* are the client.
              And *you* are responsible for the animals' welfare. So you have the option of
              declining *any* procedure.

              << I told them he would not be

              getting any more shots like that all lumped togeather >>

              Your decision is in line with current recommendations on vax. The first
              decision is whether an animal is to be vaxed at all. Again, annual vax is not
              required by law, is not necessary to provide immunity, and is now considered
              potentially harmful.

              If the caregiver decides to vax regardless, then it is recommended that vax
              be given *separately*, spaced several wks apart. It is now no longer
              recommended to have multivalent vax.

              Another option to consider for rabies vax is the use of PureVax by Merial,
              which doesn't carry some of the harmful adjuvants in standard rabies vax. The
              only "drawback" is that PureVax is registered for *1 yr* only...so even if your
              local law allows a 3-yr rabies interval, PureVax must be given annually.

              For information on vaccination, some links are below. Just one excerpt...from
              a standard veterinary textbook: "A practice that was started many years ago
              and that lacks scientific validity or verification is annual revaccinations.
              Almost without exception there is no immunologic requirement for annual
              revaccination."

              If you're interested in research beyond these links, two current authorities
              on animal immunology and vax are Jean Dodds and Ronald Schultz.

              1. www.avma.org/policies/vaccination.htm (AVMA vax policy)
              2. www.AVMA.org/vafstf (AVMA feline sarcoma task force)
              3. www.catcaresociety.org/shots.htm (Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XI)
              4.
              http://svmweb.vetmed.wisc.edu/VetWeb/DesktopModules/ViewAnnouncement.aspx?ItemID=39&mid=164 (Dr. Ronald Schultz, immunologist and chair of the
              Department of Pathobiology at the Univ of Wisc School of Vet Med)
              5. www.geocities.com/~kremersark/newhope.html (Sylvia's Journey of New Hope)

              // Rosemary
            • ladycherise@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 21, 2005
                Im sitting here pretty upset and crying because Coco my porr little 11 month
                old kitty who I love alot not only has the heart condition now he has
                megacolon and the vet is deciding right now if he needs surgery to remove part of
                his intestine to maybe fix the prob she said theres no guarantee right now
                they can fix it :( I dont know what else to do, im running out of money to do
                anything now, hes cost thousands of dollars up to this point and we are now post
                dating checks to the vet with money we dont have in our bank account :(
                I dont want to euthanize him either :(

              • ladycherise@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 21, 2005
                  ive kept trying to talk to my vet today and tonight and she isnt returning
                  my phone calls and the receptionist wont fill me in on Cocos status and how
                  he is doing. I think somethings is terriblly wrong with him and they are
                  avoiding me. what should I do?

                • Emily Dunbar
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 2, 2005
                    Thank you to everyone who has comforted me about my Coco. I wanted to share a picture of her with you all.

                    Emily