hello

  • ted kereluk
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 26, 2001
      i have a mainecoon , who is diagnosed HCM, i may want to ask questions later, i live in ontario, canada, ;o) ted

    • jwarner310@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
        Welcome to the board! So sorry that you have the need to be here but
        this is a great board. Everyone is so cooperative and has given me
        the best advice. Please always ask any questions because someone
        always seems to have an answer or a suggestion. I have been here for
        about 1 1/2 years now and they haven't left me down yet! LOL
        I am coming to Toronto in about 3 weeks but live in the states.
        I will look forward to getting to know about your cat.

        Jeanne & Dom

        --- In feline-heart@y..., "ted kereluk" <ted.kereluk@s...> wrote:
        > i have a mainecoon , who is diagnosed HCM, i may want to ask
        questions later, i live in ontario, canada, ;o) ted

      • Mike & Linda Irrgang
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
          hi ted,

          welcome to the board....you have come to the besst place to be if you have
          questions.....this is the most resourceful and caring group of folks you'll
          ever hope to find....i feel extremely lucky to have found this site....tell
          us about your boy....we are all anxious to hear about him....got any
          picturess???

          linda and the boys

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
            My ( Harley)mainecoon is 4yrs old and has a grade 3 heart murmur. My vet
            suggested bi-monthly checkups,I suggested an ECG.He is diagnosed early
            stages of HCM. It is my hope that he will live for along time.I'll see how
            his next screening goes , in 6 months. The cardiolist wasn't going to give
            me any meds, but I said I've noticed such a change from what used to be my
            house showoff cat, so he prescribed Diltiazen.I've attached some pics of
            some of my cats.I do show and want to breed mainecoons.:O) TED
            > welcome to the board....you have come to the besst place to be if you have
            > questions.....this is the most resourceful and caring group of folks
            you'll
            > ever hope to find....i feel extremely lucky to have found this
            site....tell
            > us about your boy....we are all anxious to hear about him....got any
            > picturess???
            >
            > linda and the boys

          • Anyes Moscrip
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 27, 2001
              ted kereluk wrote:

              > My ( Harley)mainecoon is 4yrs old and has a grade 3 heart murmur. My vet
              > suggested bi-monthly checkups,I suggested an ECG.He is diagnosed early
              > stages of HCM. It is my hope that he will live for along time.I'll see how
              > his next screening goes , in 6 months. The cardiolist wasn't going to give
              > me any meds, but I said I've noticed such a change from what used to be my
              > house showoff cat, so he prescribed Diltiazen.I've attached some pics of
              > some of my cats.I do show and want to breed mainecoons.:O) TED

              I am glad you insisted on medication. I think that is your best bet in stopping
              the progression of hcm and improving the well being of Harley.
              My kitty was on Diltiazem also and the improvement was dramatic and immediate.
              WIthin 24hrs, she was going up and down the stairs, and running around the
              house, which she had not done in a while. She was diagnosed with moderate hcm
              and high bp (with the complications of advanced crf). The heart medication
              improved her kidneys and her ability to process subq's too.

              I thing any cat with hcm should start medication earlier than later.

              Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica
            • joe.weissmann@uc.edu
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2001
                Ted, excellent suggestions on your part, ie. suggesting an ECG &
                suggesting early meds. After the ECG, you'll know what kind of CM your
                dealing with and how to proceed from there.

                - Joe W.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                  hi ted,

                  have you considered the more conservative route first....diltiazem is kinda
                  on the mid-range of the meds spectrum and does have potential detrimental
                  side effects that you have to monitor carefully with regular
                  bldwrk......does he have high bp?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 1, 2001
                    To compare, Dom is 5 years old and was put on Diltiazem with a Grade
                    3 murmur and listed as mild HCM over 1 year ago too. This sounds alot
                    like Harley. He also gets the Enalarpril. Cardiologist wants to keep
                    the heart walls from doing any more thickening and at the last
                    ultrasound, he said it is working perfectly as Doms measurements have
                    not changed at all since taking the drugs. Without them I suspect
                    there would have been a decline.

                    There are the chances of side effects but we have been lucky so far.

                    And Ted, our doc said that 5 years is a normal estimate if you catch
                    it early and if the cat responds well to the meds and doesn't throw
                    a clot, he has seen many live lots longer. So, you may have your wish
                    of a long life for Harley! We hang onto those thoughts here. LOL

                    Jeanne & Dom

                  • lake157land
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 8, 2004
                      Hi, I found this group through searching on yahoo. Just wanted to
                      say hello. I have 2 cats, one 11 years old and another 18. My 18
                      year old cat is doing well with the treatments she is on. She is
                      also on Norvasc which is how I found the group. Besides that she
                      also has the beginning stages of Kidney Disease but is under control
                      with prescription food, and a 1/4 pepcid AC in the morning. Not to
                      mention she is on Tapazol as well. Other than that, she is active
                      and playful, and goes for walks on a leash and harness. Not bad for
                      an 18 year old. Just thought I would share and see if anyone else is
                      in the same boat. Does anyone else have problems quartering thier
                      Norvasc? And anyone have any ideas of where to get the pills cheaper
                      than I am getting them ($2 a pill)
                    • Erin Lacy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 26, 2012
                        wow this is crazy you should look into this http://www.nb15news.net/jobs/?page=5613246