Breathing

  • jen
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 2004
      Hello All,

      Just thought I would add my two cents worth...

      I always find that Deagan's respirations look a little laboured.
      Perhaps it is because I'm a paranoid mom (I think it comes with the
      heart kitty territory) but he just seems to put more effort into
      breathing than any of my other cats. He is a big cat, plump but not
      fat at 14.5 lbs. His normal respiratory rate varies between 40 -
      60, much higher than a "normal" value, but he has never had any
      fluid anywhere... yet (knock on wood :)

      hugs to all kitties (and puppies of course!)

      jen, deagan and kira the dog (2 1/2 weeks left with her cast!!)

      3yo, DSH, asymptomatic; Atenolol 12.5 mg bid and CoQ10 30 sid
    • nicole harris
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2013
        Hi everyone

        I posted late last wk about my cat tom and his saddle thrombus, having just been diagnosed last wk with HCM. Thank you to everyone for all your kind words, advice and well wishes, especially to you Lyn :) this board has been a godsend since I found it. I knew nothing about heart disease until I found this board.

        TomCat has been doing well and improving daily recently, since his saddle thrombus occurred last Monday. Today tom's breathing is a bit faster. About 6 or 7 breaths every 10 seconds at rest! This seems quite fast! He ate this morning but not so much since. Do you think I should possibly take him to emergency this afternoon? He's asleep and seems pretty comfortable.

        Thanks in advance lovely people
        Nicole (Tom Cat is my kitty)
      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 8, 2013

          Hi Nicole.

          Yes, if that is whilst sleeping he must go the emergency. Any change in breathing rate is a cause for alarm, that can be an increase, or double breaths, hard deep breaths, wheezes. BUT  it has to be at rest..  you need to take the rate when he is resting, that's vital.

          Under 30 is normal (per minute)
          Over 30 concern
          Over 40 Emergency.

          So if he is breathing heavily whilst resting he needs Lasix (frucimide) . I can't remember how much he is on but when my cats get this, I give 10mg and go to the vets straight away. The alternative is give the lasix and wait 30 mins to see if it goes down, but only can judge if its ok to wait.

          :) Lyn

        • nicole harris
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 8, 2013
            Hi Lyn

            Feeling like a bit of an idiot now😁

            Tc is on frusemide! His breathing seems to have slowed down now. I have him a quarter of a 40mg tablet. Usually he has a quarter at 10am and a quarter at 10pm. I had no idea that this could help so thank to so much. Do u think it's ok to still give him his dose at 10pm?

            Thank you lyn, I really appreciate all of your help. Sorry to ask so many questions. Just been so worried. Will let u know how the vets goes.

            Nicole x x x
          • bspringsted425
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 8, 2013
              Hi Nicole,

              I know I'm not the one you specifically asked, and I'm not a vet so please don't take what I say as the absolute answer - I'm very new to heart disease too. My only experience has been with a cat who died at 2 years old from undiagnosed HCM (he always had checkups and nothing showed up until he went into respiratory distress two weeks before he died - he was never on any medicine. And now I have an 11 year old cat with newly diagnosed RCM, who IS on medicine and doing well at the moment. I would call your own vet to check on this, but my Wendy was only diagnosed about 3 weeks ago and she is also on Furosimide, and was started at twice a day. When her breathing rate increased about a week later, I took her to the emergency vet and they increased her dose to three times a day. She seems to be doing well on that. We were told that she was started on the lowest doses of all of her medicines because they can cause dehydration and kidney failure so obviously the lowest dose needed should be used. But with that being said, its ok to increase the doses if its needed. So I would be inclined to say that you can still give your cat his other dose, but I would space the doses out at 8 hour intervals which is what we are doing. Definitely call the vet to double check because I'm no expert, but I think you'd be ok with giving him that third dose. Hang in there! I'm so glad that I found this group. Mentally, its a huge weight off my shoulders to know that other people are dealing with this too. It's something that I wish no one had to go through, but knowing I'm not alone is a huge comfort.

              Brooke

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, nicole harris <nmhharris@...> wrote:

              > Hi Lyn
              >
              > Feeling like a bit of an idiot now😁
              >
              > Tc is on frusemide! His breathing seems to have slowed down now. I have him a quarter of a 40mg tablet. Usually he has a quarter at 10am and a quarter at 10pm. I had no idea that this could help so thank to so much. Do u think it's ok to still give him his dose at 10pm?
              >
              > Thank you lyn, I really appreciate all of your help. Sorry to ask so many questions. Just been so worried. Will let u know how the vets goes.
              >
              > Nicole x x x

            • nicole harris
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 8, 2013
                Hi Brooke

                Thanks so much for your reply and for sharing your story. Sorry you lost your kitty to hcm and to hear that Wendy has now been diagnosed. It's such a shock - until last week, I knew nothing about hcm and initially thought tomcat's leg paralysis was due to an injury, not a blood clot.

                Like you, I feel such a comfort in finding this group and I think that the more information we can arm ourselves with, the better.

                It's a relief to hear about what your vet said with regards to the furosemide. The extra dose definitely helped. And I feel more comfortable giving him the night time dose.

                I really hope that Wendy continues to improve. It's so tough worrying about our furballs and I feel that many people don't really understand how much we love them and how they become members of the family very quickly.

                Keep me posted about Wendy if you can

                Thanks again Brooke.
                Warm wishes Nicole
                X X X