Re: abducted elbows with meatloaf position

  • turkishangoraathumanesociety
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
      Don't...I have no clue either... ;)

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "katy4282003" <katy_van@h...>
      wrote:

      > ok. what does abducted elbows with meatloaf position mean? i read
      on
      > one of the messages here that this is something to watch for but i
      > have now idea what it means......
      >
      > >^..^<
      > i feel dumb
      >
      > katy & belle
    • Lois Benes at Cox
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
        abducted: Physiology To draw away from the midline of the body or from an
        adjacent part or limb. (Picture the front paws with elbows sticking out at
        an angle – away from the body, rather than parallel to the body which is
        normal for a cat in sitting position.)

        Add: meatloaf position…Haven’t got a clue as to what this addition would
        mean.

        Maybe someone can take it from here. Lois

      • tygergirl55
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
          - Dont feel 'dumb'!! Good for you to ask; your concerned about your
          kitty and want to know what to watch for.
          Know about this 'meatloaf' position, only because used to volunteer
          at cat shelter, and someone told me...was one of the ways we would
          look out for a cat maybe not feeling okay.
          Its when their resting more upright; front paws tucked under, and
          their back legs also under their body. Their head is more upright.
          Since their front and back legs are mostly 'under' their body, its
          supposed to 'resemble' a meatloaf. (not sure about elbows being
          abducted). And they may not be not feeling well. Doesnt mean that
          whenever a cat rests like this, they are ill.
          If your cat generally likes to sleep/rest curled up, or on side,
          stretched out, etc., and she starts laying around all hunched up,
          seeming uncomfortable, then its something to watch out for.
          Strange way of describing this, but it seemed to be true for several
          cats when their not feeling good.
          lynda, trina and markie

          > ok. what does abducted elbows with meatloaf position mean? i read
          on
          > one of the messages here that this is something to watch for but i
          > have now idea what it means......
          >
          > >^..^<
          > i feel dumb
          >
          > katy & belle
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
            --- tygergirl55 <tygergirl55@...> wrote:
            Know about this 'meatloaf' position, only because
            > used to volunteer
            > at cat shelter, and someone told me...was one of the
            > ways we would
            > look out for a cat maybe not feeling okay.
            > Its when their resting more upright; front paws
            > tucked under, and
            > their back legs also under their body. Their head is
            > more upright.
            > Since their front and back legs are mostly 'under'
            > their body, its
            > supposed to 'resemble' a meatloaf. (not sure about
            > elbows being
            > abducted).

            It's true that meatloaf can mean a cat is not feeling
            well for a variety of reasons. Apparently the cat and
            dog assume different positions when they are in
            respiratory distress, whether it be from heart disease
            or asthma. A dog stands with abducted elbows, a cat
            hunchs down in meatloaf position with abducted elbows.
            I'm not sure what it looks like though. However if you
            see a cat that is in respiratory distress and they are
            laying on their side and changing positions as if they
            cannot get comfortable they are in danger of imminent
            respiratory failure. This is called lateral
            recumbancy, meatloaf is called sternal recumbancy.

            There is a really good article in the links section on
            Emergency evaluation of respiratory distress.

            http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00100.htm

            One should look for the postural manifestations of
            dyspnea such as an extended neck, abducted elbows,
            open mouth breathing, an anxious facial expression,
            increased abdominal movement, and paradoxical
            abdominal movement. Straightening of the neck and open
            mouth breathing occur in both dogs and cats, however,
            some other postural manifestations of more severe
            dyspnea vary between species. Dogs prefer to stand
            with abducted elbows, while cats tend to sit in
            sternal recumbency. Constantly changing body position
            in cats implies a much worse degree of dyspnea than it
            does in dogs. Lateral recumbency due to dyspnea is a
            serious sign in a dog; however, it often means
            impending respiratory arrest in a cat.

            Susan

            Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            www.yahoo.com
          • Susan
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
              --- Lois Benes at Cox <lkbenes@...> wrote:

              > abducted: Physiology To draw away from the midline
              > of the body or from an
              > adjacent part or limb. (Picture the front paws with
              > elbows sticking out at
              > an angle � away from the body, rather than parallel
              > to the body which is
              > normal for a cat in sitting position.)
              >
              > Add: meatloaf position�Haven�t got a clue as to
              > what this addition would
              > mean.
              >
              > Maybe someone can take it from here. Lois

              Lois,

              Thanks. I had pictured it as elbows sticking outward,
              but wasn't sure. Meatloaf is layperson speak for
              sternal recumbancy. In a cat lateral recumbancy is
              even worse in a cat in respiratory distress.

              Susan

              Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
              www.yahoo.com
            • jen
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 10, 2004
                Hello All (Again!),

                When kitties are in respiratory distress, they will stretch their
                elbows away from their body. This increases the functional area of
                the lungs by increasing the chest cavity size. It may also reduce
                the energy needed to expand the chest with each respiration. Once
                the kitty reaches the point of lateral recumbancy, or lying on their
                side, they are in acute distress and must be transported to the
                emerg. immediately.

                Interestingly, humans do the same thing; they lean forward, put
                their hands on their knees and "wing" their elbows out.

                jen, deagan and kira the dog