Re: Intro - Ravin and Restricitve Cardiomyopathy

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2 6:20 AM
      > Yes. He told me that he thought aspirin didn't do very much and
      > could cause problems.

      He's right - there's no evidence aspirin reduces the probability
      that cats will throw a clot due to their heart disease. Some vets
      routinely prescribe it anyway since they figure anything is better
      than nothing, but it can upset the stomach in some cats.

      > Maybe he felt the amount the 24 hour vet gave to him (1/2 of a
      50mg
      > pill) was stressing them out already???

      No, he'd need blood results to determine that, and usually short
      periods of a high lasix dose due to a crisis aren't the problem.
      It's the long term effects of being on lasix.

      > He reduced him to 1/2 of a
      > 20mg pill when he did the 'script and told me to get his blood
      pulled
      > and tested in a week (which is happening on Friday).

      That's typical. Usually after the crisis has passed (meaning the
      fluid has been reduced), vets will try to find the minumum dose that
      the kitty needs in order to keep the fluid at bay. They do this
      because lasix is hard on the kidneys so the cat shouldn't be on a
      higher dose than they need over an extended period of time.

      > Well, this cat is a bigger mooch than any dog I have ever met. If
      > you are in the kitchen for anything, he magically appears with a
      > giant smile on his face. He loves anything he can eat - raw,
      cooked,
      > canned, kibbled, etc. I am glad he never lost his appetite, and I
      > will keep up on that.

      Yes, do watch. Cats with huge appetites can still lose it when
      they're on heart meds or not feeling well.

      > Sarah, can you tell me how long your cat lead a comfortable life
      with
      > RCM?

      She lived comfortably for about 11 months. You can read part of her
      story here:

      http://members.rogers.com/scrubbrush/feline-heart/Morag.html

      At the bottom of the page is a link back to the group's FAQ, which
      you may also want to have a look at. You can also reach it through
      the links section of the group's yahoo site.

      > Also, what tell tale signs should I be looking for that he is in
      > trouble and needs to get to the vet's?

      Changes in his breathing pattern would be the number one thing to
      look out for. When you know your cat's chest is clear of fluid, you
      should familiarize yourself with your cat's breathing pattern -
      number of breaths per minute (bpm) at rest, and how your cat's body
      looks when he inhales and exhales. If his bpm increases to 45 or he
      seems to be working harder to breathe, call your vet. 60 - go to
      the vet.

      Also look for any indication that your cat is experiencing pain in
      his back legs or having problems walking.

      Sarah.