Just found ouut my cat has HCM

  • shellycasey101
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
      It just made my day just now to accidentally find this support group
      concerning HCM. I just found out that my kitty has it and am feeling
      I am sure as you all did once you learned about the disease. If
      feels good to be able to type about it to others that understand my
      sadness. My cats nams is Sam I am.....my husband and I got him just
      8 months ago, he is 10 months old. I remember the first time we took
      him to the vet and on the way there he started breathing with his
      mouth open, sortof like a dog panting.....it scared me so I told the
      nurse about it right away and she said he just did that b/c he was
      scared of the car. I accepted that fact and thought each time I saw
      him do the pant that he was just scared.....I am so upset that the
      nurse didn't think way back when that this was a major sign of HCM or
      we could have began treatment on Sam months ago before it got to the
      stage where he is at now. I "think" I have found a good doctor for
      him now. She seems real busy and can't seem to give me the time I
      would love for Sam but I appreciate that she took my concerns for Sam
      serious and began testing him immediately and found what was wrong.
      She has started Sam on Altenolol once everyday and baby aspirin twice
      a week. Does this sound normal? Is there anything else out there
      that anyone could recommend me? Sam is taking the meds fine so far,
      still have his big appetite and loves water. He is though seeming to
      slow town and likes to sleep alot more and looks so sad. I feel like
      he is slipping away and want to do anything I can. I don't think my
      other cat Bella could take it if anything happened to Sam....they are
      both so young and such buddies....it would be just too sad. I accept
      that the time I have with Sam is precious and I know it won't be long
      but I want to make it the longest that I can for him and would
      appreciate anyone's advise. Thank you for much for reading/listening
      to me type on and on. This just plain sucks doesn't it? My hopes
      and prayers go out to all your kitties as well.....

      Thanks again for any help/advise/support.
      Shelly, Sam I am and Bella
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
        --- shellycasey101 <shellycasey101@...> wrote:

        > I "think" I have found a
        > good doctor for
        > him now. She seems real busy and can't seem to give
        > me the time I
        > would love for Sam but I appreciate that she took my
        > concerns for Sam
        > serious and began testing him immediately and found
        > what was wrong.

        Did Sam have an ultrasound AKA echocardiogram?

        > She has started Sam on Altenolol once everyday and
        > baby aspirin twice
        > a week. Does this sound normal?

        Yes, the fact that Sam is on atenolol only means he is
        considered asymptomatic. This is good. The atenolol
        slows his heart rate so his left ventricle has a
        longer time to fill. Some cats on this group have been
        on atenolol for 5-6 years. My cat has been on atenolol
        for 2 years.

        Is there anything
        > else out there
        > that anyone could recommend me? Sam is taking the
        > meds fine so far,
        > still have his big appetite and loves water. He is
        > though seeming to
        > slow town and likes to sleep alot more and looks so
        > sad. I feel like
        > he is slipping away and want to do anything I can.

        Atenolol can cause lethergy. I personally did not
        notice that side effect, but others have. My mother
        was on a similar beta-blocker for high blood pressure
        and people are told to give themselves time for their
        body to get used to the beta-blocker.

        > I don't think my
        > other cat Bella could take it if anything happened
        > to Sam....they are
        > both so young and such buddies....it would be just
        > too sad. I accept
        > that the time I have with Sam is precious and I know
        > it won't be long
        > but I want to make it the longest that I can for him
        > and would
        > appreciate anyone's advise.

        Actually the prognosis may not be as grim as some of
        the articles indicate because they use median survival
        time. See:

        Population and survival characteristics of cats with
        hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: 260 cases (1990-1999).

        Cats in the subclinical group lived the longest
        (median survival time, 1,129 days; range, 2 to 3,778
        days), followed by cats in the syncope group (654
        days; range, 28 to 1,505 days), cats in the CHF group
        (563 days; range, 2 to 4,418 days), and cats in the
        ATE group (184 days; range, 2 to 2,278 days).

        http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12126131&dopt=Abstract&itool=iconabstr

        susan

        Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
        www.yahoo.com
      • molly
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
          Shelly,

          I think you've described how most of us felt at hearing this diagnosis. My
          little cat, Monkey, had symptoms for nearly a year without me picking up on
          them... I thought she was just slowing down ... I actually got used to
          stepping over her or spending time with her where she slept all the time. I
          almost didn't mention her labored breathing to the vet at her check-up as it
          was very subtle.

          The meds your vet has prescribed sound about right ... you didn't mention a
          diuretic, but you did mention that she liked her water ... you might look
          into this. Often the labored breathing is due to accumulated fluids in the
          chest cavity, and many HCM kitties are given a diuretic in addition to the
          high blood pressure meds. My kitty was diagnosed in March, and is on 1/2
          tab of vasotec (like atenolol) a day and 1/2 of diuretic a day. She's had
          one crisis since then, which she recovered from with no intervention, and
          she's doing pretty well, eating, gained weight, a bit more active, etc.... I
          have hopes of keeping her around for a while, but I know this disease can be
          unpredictable.

          Molly and Monkey
[...]

          feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Get unlimited calls to

          U.S./Canada

        • shellycasey101
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2004
            I just wanted to write to again thank these great people that I
            listed below for writing me after my first email yesterday.....you
            have all helped me feel so much better. I just cannot thank you
            enough. You have also educated me which means so much as well. You
            have helped not just me but Sam I am, and my husband too.

            Thank you to:
            Pam Vojtas (and Peep, Little Cat, Mollie, Cowgirl, Sam, and Spike)
            Lisa
            Molly and Monkey
            Katy & Belle
            Dawn
            Susan

            I appreciate all of you.
            Shelly, Sam I am and Bella
          • lclarizia@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 3, 2004
              In a message dated 11/2/2004 10:26:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              shellycasey101@... writes:

              > I just wanted to write to again thank these great people that I
              > listed below for writing me after my first email yesterday.....you
              > have all helped me feel so much better. I just cannot thank you
              > enough. You have also educated me which means so much as well. You
              > have helped not just me but Sam I am, and my husband too.

              You're welcome ... we all know what you're going through. Best wishes to you
              guys and Sam!

              Lisa