food

  • katy4282003
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
      hi. i am wanting to find out what type and brands of food you all
      feed your kitties. i would like to feed my cat more moist food but
      seems to want the kibble more and i am gone all day at work so i
      worry about moist food being out. i also wonder how much moist to
      feed. when i feed strictly kibble i feed 1/4 cup twice a day. my cat
      weighs 8lbs and is a bit heavy for her size but not much (maybe 1lb
      over if that).

      >^..^<
      katy & belle
    • molly
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hi Katy,

        I'm feeding my cats, including my HCM kitty, a home made raw diet -- I
        started this for a kitty who has IBD, and all the cats are doing extremely
        well on it... but, a good canned diet is also a nice change from kibble for
        most cats. It can take a while to transition an older kitty from kibble to
        moist ... transition times vary depending on the individual cat. Mine do
        quite well on 2 feedings a day, though I now have 2 new kittens in the
        house, so they are getting more frequent feedings. You can feed in the
        morning before going to work, giving them 30 - 45 minutes to eat, then take
        the plate up ... no need to leave it out, and they will be fine for 12 hours
        or so and nice and hungry and ready to eat when you get home from work ...
        (even my 8 week old kittens are fine through the night with no food) ....
        1/4 cup of moist food, or approximately 2 oz, is probably about right for an
        8 lb cat. I'm feeding that amount to my 12 lb cat who is on a diet, and
        he's doing fine too ... so that can also vary by individual. It's generally
        thought that high protein, low carb foods are best for cats ... with that in
        mind, you might try Nature's Variety (this is what my cats get when I'm not
        feeding raw) -- other good ones to check out are Filadae, Petguard, Chicken
        Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul ... You can read ingredients and try to stick
        with little or no grain, no bi-products, human grade meats, etc....

        Hope this helps.

        Molly
        hi. i am wanting to find out what type and brands of food you all
        feed your kitties. i would like to feed my cat more moist food but
        seems to want the kibble more and i am gone all day at work so i
        worry about moist food being out. i also wonder how much moist to
        feed. when i feed strictly kibble i feed 1/4 cup twice a day. my cat
        weighs 8lbs and is a bit heavy for her size but not much (maybe 1lb
        over if that).

        >^..^<
        katy & belle

        feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Get unlimited calls to

        U.S./Canada

      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2004
          Hi Katy,

          In a message dated 11/1/04 1:12:09 PM, katy_van@... writes:

          << i am wanting to find out what type and brands of food you all

          feed your kitties. >>

          Our cats eat a combination of homemade fresh food with raw meat and a
          high-quality, grainfree commercial canned (Wellness).

          << i would like to feed my cat more moist food but

          seems to want the kibble more >>

          Dry food products offer low nutritional quality for cats...and can often
          become physiologically addictive. If you would like to transition the cat to a
          high-quality canned commercial food, one approach is to *very slowly* increase
          the amt of canned while *very slowly* reducing the amt of dry, even if that
          means removing 1 nugget per day. Toward the end of the transition, it's possible
          to crush the dry (like with a rolling pin) to make a dust and sprinkle it on
          the canned, so that the cat gets the aroma...and then very slowly reduce the
          amt of dust.

          For more information on feline nutrition, some sites incl:

          1. www.maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
          2. www.speedyvet.com/nutrition
          3. http://home.earthlink.net/~jacm2/id1.html
          4. http://rocquoone.com/diet_and_health.htm
          5. www.homevet.com/petcare/feedingyourcat.html
          6. www.catinfo.org
          7. www.drsfostersmith.com/general.cfm?siteid=0&gid=74&ref=2066&subref=AN

          << i am gone all day at work so i

          worry about moist food being out. >>

          Many caregivers in the same position use a timed feeder, which is basically a
          plastic housing with a gelpack to keep canned food cool. The same type of
          arrangement is possible by placing the bowl on a gel pack, set on a tray.

          << i also wonder how much moist to

          feed. >>

          The general guideline is 20-30 calories per lb of body weight per day,
          adjusted for age, metabolism, activity, etc. So, an "average" 10 lb at would require
          about 200-300 cal/day. Most canned products are about 30-35 cal/oz. For a
          chart with the calorie counts of many common brands, see:
          www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html.

          << when i feed strictly kibble i feed 1/4 cup twice a day. >>

          Feed volume depends on calorie content. Dry food can contain anywhere from
          230 to 590 cal/cup.

          << my cat

          weighs 8lbs >>

          So, she would need about 160-240 cal/day.

          << is a bit heavy for her size but not much (maybe 1lb

          over if that). >>

          Dry food is a major contributing factor to obesity and a range of health
          problems in cats. // Rosemary
        • savionna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2004
            Hi Molly,

            In a message dated 11/1/04 6:50:26 PM, monkey@... writes:

            << Mine do
            quite well on 2 feedings a day, though I now have 2 new kittens in the
            house, so they are getting more frequent feedings. >>

            Just a note on this: cats have evolved in the wild to eat many small meals
            (about 1 oz)...up to about 15 times per day. Their metabolisms, therefore, have
            evolved to never shut "off" (simply stated). For information about feed
            patterns for small felids, some sites incl:

            1. www.speedyvet.com/Learningcentre/course1/6_2feedbeh.htm
            2. www.petplace.com/articles/artShow.asp?artID=2476
            3. www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=careforcats

            << 1/4 cup of moist food, or approximately 2 oz, is probably about right for
            an
            8 lb cat. >>

            The general guideline is 20-30 cal per lb of body weight per day. Most
            commercial canned products contain about 30-35 cal/oz.

            2 oz x 30-35 cal/oz = 60-65 cal, which is enough to feed a 2-3 lb cat.

            An 8 lb cat requires about 160-240 cal/day, which is about 4.5-8 oz of a food
            with 30-35 cal/oz.

            << with that in
            mind, you might try Nature's Variety (this is what my cats get when I'm not
            feeding raw) -- other good ones to check out are Filadae, Petguard >>

            Nature's Variety, along with Wellness, are the only canned commercial
            products that are currently grainfree. // Rosemary
          • molly
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2004
              I wasn't clear on what you recommend feeding ... but your note on the
              feeding schedule would make it difficult to feed an exclusive canned diet
              (no kibble) as most people can't manage so many feedings a day. There are
              actually other schools of thought on this. One of them is that the natural
              predator is conditioned to eat well when given the opportunity ... for
              example if a cat in the wild catches a rat, it may be a while before she
              manages her next catch, so she will eat as much as she can. Cats can
              actually go for long periods without eating. Some books recommend one meal
              a day. I live at home and could, in fact, give 15 meals a day and,
              initially, when I took my cats off of the free feeding kibble schedule, I
              fed them quite often, but it soon became apparent that they simply were not
              hungry enough to bother eating more than a few bites at each meal. I
              gradually discontinued feedings and find that they eat well and have better
              appetites on 2 meals a day, sometimes 3. All three of my cats have (or had,
              in the case of my IBD kitty) serious health problems (IBD, HCM, and I have a
              1 year lymphoma survivor) -- they were all underweight when I changed their
              diet, but are all at good, solid weights now ... the lymphoma kitty has
              gained 2 pounds.

              Molly

[...]

              // Rosemary