medication questions

  • katy4282003
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      hi. i am curious to find what cats with heart disease (esp HCM)are
      normally given for medication. also the progression of the
      medication given related to the disease. my kitty is only on
      altenlol twice daily right now and since it is only 2 months into
      this i am wondering what to expect, even though i know each case is
      different. thanks for your help!

      >^..^<
      katy & belle
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
        Katy,

        Atenolol only means that your cat is considered
        asymptomatic. Atenonol is a beta-blocker that slows
        the heart rate by filling the beta-andergenic
        receptors in the heart. When the receptors are filled
        they are not available to the substance that increases
        the heart rate, hence the name beta-blocker.

        This allows the left ventricle a longer time to fill.
        Many cats take atenolol only for years. My cat has
        been on atenolol for two years and my vet says he has
        had over 100 cats on atenonol. Some members of this
        group have had cats on atenolol for 5-6 years.

        Susan
        --- katy4282003 <katy_van@...> wrote:

        > hi. i am curious to find what cats with heart
        > disease (esp HCM)are
        > normally given for medication. also the progression
        > of the
        > medication given related to the disease. my kitty is
        > only on
        > altenlol twice daily right now and since it is only
        > 2 months into
        > this i am wondering what to expect, even though i
        > know each case is
        > different. thanks for your help!
        >
        > >^..^<
        > katy & belle