Re: [FH] High calorie/protein food?

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      Janice,

      Hill's A/D IS the food of choice for assist feeding,
      tube feeding and is a veterinary created prescription
      food for critical care situations. Cats with Hepatic
      Lipidois are fed A/D or Eukanuba Maximum Calorie.

      Susan

      info on A/D which you can purchase form your vet

      http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_1/products/product_details.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441760567&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024497&bmUID=1099331874320

      For the Nutritional Management of Pets Recovering From
      Serious Illness, Accidents and Surgery Both dogs and
      cats can undergo significant changes when faced with a
      serious illness, injury or surgery. They may have
      trouble maintaining natural defenses and sparing lean
      body mass(in other words, they may be losing body
      weight from muscle or organ tissue), which can affect
      recovery. Prescription Diet� Canine/Feline a/d� has
      been specifically formulated by veterinarians to be
      fed to dogs or cats with certain debilitating
      conditions. These conditions can be affected by the
      lack of key nutrients and digestible energy.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        Just a reminder that I have a Feline Assisted Feeding group
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/ ; many of the
        members have/had cats with Hepatic Lipidosis and are very knowledgable.
        Many cats are tube fed. Other, like me, syringe feed their cats.

        Linda

        feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

      • savionna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
          Hi Janice,

          In a message dated 11/1/04 12:32:33 PM, autumncat@... writes:

          << is there a high calorie or protein food that we can give that will be
          nutritious or help him gain some weight? >>

          The only high-calorie food available is Eukanuba Maximum Calorie (Rx only),
          which contains 56 cal/oz.

          Contrary to Hill's marketing and oft-repeated assertions, Hill's a/d is *not*
          a high-calorie product. It contains 32 cal/oz, which is comparable to nearly
          every commercial canned food (which generally contain about 30-35 cal/oz).
          Both products contain about 30-35% of cal from protein, which is also comparable
          to most commercial canned foods. // Rosemary