High calorie/protein food?

  • Janice
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
      I want to try to pull Kirby out of this crisis - but don't think we will go as far as a feeding tube.

      If we can get him eating - or force feed a food...is there a high calorie or protein food that we can give that will be nutritious or help him gain some weight?

      He is going to ER this afternoon - only way he could see a cardiologist. They have to have another vet say he needs an emergency appt. ER is probably more appropriate than his reg. vet since the cardio doc is right there.

      TIA
      Janice

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
        Janice,

        Hill's A/D IS the food of choice for assist feeding,
        tube feeding and is a veterinary created prescription
        food for critical care situations. Cats with Hepatic
        Lipidois are fed A/D or Eukanuba Maximum Calorie.

        Susan

        info on A/D which you can purchase form your vet

        http://www.hillspet.com/zSkin_1/products/product_details.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441760567&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302024497&bmUID=1099331874320

        For the Nutritional Management of Pets Recovering From
        Serious Illness, Accidents and Surgery Both dogs and
        cats can undergo significant changes when faced with a
        serious illness, injury or surgery. They may have
        trouble maintaining natural defenses and sparing lean
        body mass(in other words, they may be losing body
        weight from muscle or organ tissue), which can affect
        recovery. Prescription Diet� Canine/Feline a/d� has
        been specifically formulated by veterinarians to be
        fed to dogs or cats with certain debilitating
        conditions. These conditions can be affected by the
        lack of key nutrients and digestible energy.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2004
          Just a reminder that I have a Feline Assisted Feeding group
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline-Assisted-Feeding/ ; many of the
          members have/had cats with Hepatic Lipidosis and are very knowledgable.
          Many cats are tube fed. Other, like me, syringe feed their cats.

          Linda

          feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        • savionna@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2004
            Hi Janice,

            In a message dated 11/1/04 12:32:33 PM, autumncat@... writes:

            << is there a high calorie or protein food that we can give that will be
            nutritious or help him gain some weight? >>

            The only high-calorie food available is Eukanuba Maximum Calorie (Rx only),
            which contains 56 cal/oz.

            Contrary to Hill's marketing and oft-repeated assertions, Hill's a/d is *not*
            a high-calorie product. It contains 32 cal/oz, which is comparable to nearly
            every commercial canned food (which generally contain about 30-35 cal/oz).
            Both products contain about 30-35% of cal from protein, which is also comparable
            to most commercial canned foods. // Rosemary