Re: Question - Kirby in crisis

  • meomy12000
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2004
      Don't let him not eat. My cat was the same way. The risk of Hepatic
      Lipidosis is high which is next to impossible to recover from. I
      force fed my cat starting at 20cc about 4 times a day when he was
      first diagnosed and wouldn't eat. Hunter went four days without
      eating and I almost lost him. As long as he keeps it down you are
      doing good. He has to eat. Has he been drinking? He may also be
      dehydrated.Do you have an emergency clinic nearby?

      Brian

      -- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Janice" <autumncat@a...> wrote:
      > Quick post - would love feedback.
      >
      > Kirby is lethargic, not eating - skin and bones. Has lost even
      more weight. Hiding in corners.

      > Called Cardio today - finally on-call doc called back and took him
      off Lanoxin and lowered his Diltiazem to 1/4 tab 2xday.

      > Anyway, I didn't think to mention to the doc the possibility of
      Hepatic Lipidosis. I'm thinking it is a possibility - I'm not sure
      when he stopped eating - it could have been a few days.

      > So we decided to use the water syringe we have to give him mushy
      canned cat food. We gave one syringe full so far - going to let him
      be for a bit and try another syringe.

      > Does anyone have experience with this type situation? Is it ok to
      force feed him? Is it a good idea to do this?
      > I am thinking we will probably end up going to the vet Mon. or
      Tues. - even though the doc said we should see improvement in about
      3 days.