Re: New-question on stroke symptoms

  • jen
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2004
      Suzanne,

      Sorry to hear about Panther, it sounds like he has been a real
      fighter!

      In humans, it would be extremely unusual, if not unheard of, for a
      stroke to cause blindness in one eye. The area affected by a stroke
      is generally much larger than just the various optical nerves and to
      have such a localized deficit would be very unlikely. A stroke
      would have also shown up on his MRI.

      Has he had his blood pressure checked? Hypertension is a common
      cause of blindness in kitties.

      As a funny story, while doing a call (I'm a paramedic) I asked my
      patient how long her cat had been blind for, she gave me this really
      blank stare and responded with "My cat is blind??!!". It just goes
      to show how well they can cope with that particular disability!

      jen, deagan and kira the dog