Re: [FH] HCM cure research??

  • goldengirlgene
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
      Hi, Susan,
      The 1992 paper I mentioned on the growth hormone study was written by
      Dr. Kittleson. Dr. Meurs was not involved in that study. But, I'm
      pretty sure that the 1992 study is the one referred to in the link
      you sent. Dr. Atkins lecture notes are very similar to an update he
      gave in 2002 where he also referred to that study, I can't find the
      link, but it was at a "WildWest (?) Veterinary Conference", so
      perhaps that's what you saw before?

      In humans, I believe, growth hormone therapy has been tried for
      patients with DILATED cardiomyopathy in hopes of stimulating further
      hypertropy. Of course, this would be detrimental for a patient with
      hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. I think there were also hopes that
      this could be used in some of the large breed dogs, like Dobies with
      inherited DCM, but there are problems including (at least a couple of
      years ago) the fact that there was only human growth hormone
      available (no canine), cost, and side effects. Acromegaly (excess
      circulating growth hormone) can cause a thickening of the heart
      walls, and a heart that looks like HCM, so that was the reasoning.

      As for asymptomatic cats, my kitty Tory, although he had no signs of
      HCM, was put on atenolol because on echo he had SAM (systolic
      anterior motion of the mitral valve)-- obstruction of the outflow
      tract, HOCM --, and it reduced the SAM almost completely. However,
      he had very mild HCM, not diagnosed until 7-1/2 yrs., and when he
      later developed GI lymphoma (he died at almost 15 yrs. from the
      lymphoma) he was taken off the atenolol, but it seemed to be all
      right, and his HCM never worsened (that I know of).

      I have seen figures as high as 85-90% for estimates of inherited HCM
      in humans. I saved this sentence from an article about two years ago,
      "Although preliminary verification has estimated that only 50% of the
      (HCM) cases show a familial character, more recent evaluations
      consider that truly sporadic forms are borne by less than 10% of
      disease carriers."
      A very recent article on Medline states there are now at least 10
      sarcomeric genes and at least 266 mutations in those genes known to
      cause HCM in humans. And, there are even cases where patients may
      have more than one mutation, either on the same gene or different
      genes (digenic inheritance), or are homozygous for the same mutation.

      Hopefully, when some of the exact mutations are identified in cats,
      there will be hope for interventional gene therapy, not to mention
      DNA tests, and possible other interventions.
      Marcia