RE: [feline-heart] Re: slicing and dicing atenelol

  • Mike & Linda Irrgang
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2001
      some of our babies are just averse to being pilled.....it goes against their
      very deeply ingrained instincts...but it sounds like you have it all figured
      out..

      linda and the boys

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2001
        My boy is also a horror to pill - even with that crumb of Atenolol. So
        I crush it and mix it into a teaspoonful of chicken baby food and it's
        a treat! He's been taking it that way for more than 2 years.

        bengalboys@... wrote:

        > I want to thank you all for such a warm welcome to Lightning and me. This
        > list looks like it's really going to be helpful.
        > Lightning also takes 6.25/mg (1/4 tablet) Atenolol twice a day. No matter
        > what I try, I cannot pill a cat. Lightning is probably the most cooperative
        > and easy going cat I've ever known, but my pilling attempts always end up
        > with his foaming at the mouth. So I use a compounding pharmacy. Lightning's
        > Atenolol is put in a fish flavored liquid by a real pharmacist, and he loves
        > it. When it's time for his medicine, I simply say "Medicine time," or "Tuna
        > juice," and he jumps up from wherever he is to run and get his medicine. As
        > long as I'm wearing pants thick enough to support his body weight and claws,
        > like jeans, he even climbs up my leg to get at the Atenolol quicker. It's
        > great!
        >
        > Lisa
        >
        > In a message dated 2/25/01 8:47:50 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        > catrescueofmd@... writes:
        >
        > > Another alternative is to have a pharmacy make up capsules in exact
        > > amounts.

        Tani Scott
        KitnHevn Turkish Angoras and Kitten Orphanage
        http://www.kitnhevn.com
        mailto:Tani@...
      • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2001
          I found when first putting a cat on a pill, it is best to see if they will
          take it with food first. If they do, that's great and you have no more
          worries. But sometimes if you or the vet try to pill the cat first and then
          you later see if they'll take it in food, the cat may refuse the food
          because they recognize the smell or taste that was such a horrible
          experience the first time.