Re: Is MR short for Murmur?

  • monalissa1978
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2004
      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "goldengirlgene" <Marciam@a...>
      wrote:

      > Most likely, MR is "mitral regurgitation" in this context.
      > Marcia

      I'm pretty clueless to what this means, but I'll ask our vet and read
      up.

      Thank you!!

      Lisa
    • goldengirlgene
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 10, 2004
        Hi,
        The mitral valve is one of four valves in the heart that open and
        close keeping blood flowing in the proper direction through the
        heart. It is located between the left atrium and left ventricle.
        Blood normally flows from the left atrium (upper left chamber) to the
        left ventricle (bottom left chamber), but if the mitral valve doesn't
        close completely or isn't functioning properly, blood can leak back
        (or regurgitate) into the left atrium from the left ventricle --
        mitral regurgitation --, and the heart works less efficiently,
        pumping harder to compensate.
        Marcia

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "monalissa1978"
        <Monalissa143@a...> wrote:

        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "goldengirlgene"
        <Marciam@a...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Most likely, MR is "mitral regurgitation" in this context.
        > > Marcia
        >
        > I'm pretty clueless to what this means, but I'll ask our vet and
        > read up.
      • monalissa1978
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2004
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          > but if the mitral valve doesn't
          > close completely or isn't functioning properly, blood can leak back
          > (or regurgitate) into the left atrium from the left ventricle --
          > mitral regurgitation --, and the heart works less efficiently,
          > pumping harder to compensate.
          > Marcia

          Hi Marcia,

          Thanks a bunch. I looked this up a few days ago and all I keep
          thinking is how that doesn't sound too good =o I'm finding that
          reading about the heart is a lot more scarey than his other
          conditions - especially because I don't have a great understanding of
          what I'm reading!

          Thanks again for the explanation,

          Lisa & The Boys