enalipril, lasix and anorexia

  • marlene_midgie
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2004
      Hi Everyone,

      Well, we lost Midgie last December to HCM, and this week our other
      cat, Cody (her brother) was diagnosed. He's 5 1/2.

      Question: Does anyone else have their HCM kitty on enalipril and
      lasix, and if so, when does their appetite return after starting
      meds? Cody was in heart failure last Saturday, so he's got a lot of
      recovering to do, but he hasn't eaten in five days. Just some milk.
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
        Ask your vet for Hills A/D and dab finger scoops of
        the food into his mouth. A/D is like Ensure for cats.

        Susan

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • lclarizia@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
          In a message dated 10/6/2004 10:53:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          jicky@... writes:

          > Well, we lost Midgie last December to HCM, and this week our other
          > cat, Cody (her brother) was diagnosed. He's 5 1/2.

          I'm sorry about Midgie ... it's strange, I lost one cat to sudden death due
          to cardiomyopathy (totally asymptomatic before she died) and now the cat I got
          after she died has HCM.

          > Question: Does anyone else have their HCM kitty on enalipril and
          > lasix, and if so, when does their appetite return after starting
          > meds? Cody was in heart failure last Saturday, so he's got a lot of
          > recovering to do, but he hasn't eaten in five days. Just some milk.

          Mine is ... he stopped eating about 2 days after starting the combination.
          He was just on lasix before, and was doing fine with eating then. I let it go
          one day as he'd take bites of food if I brought it to him. Then he stopped
          altogether, so I took to smearing him with baby food, which forced him to lick
          it off (it takes some time to get a jar of baby food into a cat that way) but
          seemed to jump-start his appetite. His vet also gave me some Hill's A/D which
          he liked and really helped. One word of caution, if you try baby food, look
          at the ingredients and be sure it doesn't contain onions or onion powder --
          onions are toxic to cats.

          Lisa

        • Susan
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 7, 2004
            --- lclarizia@... wrote:

            His vet also
            > gave me some Hill's A/D which
            > he liked and really helped.

            There's something about that A/D all right. My nonHCM
            tubby boy stopped eating for 3 days, took him to the
            vet and I was going to start force feeding A/D. Got
            home and put it on my fingertip to spoon into his
            mouth and all of a sudden he was inhaling it. It was
            designed specifically for anorectic and or critically
            ill animals. I am not sure if there are appetite
            enhancing ingredients or if its just the smelly/tasty
            combination. It's so nutritionally dense you can feed
            smaller amounts and be getting adequate calories.

            Susan

            http://vote.yahoo.com