Random whine from the owner of an HCM kitty

  • fraay11
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2004
      It's a long one, only read if you feel like listening to me whine :)

      I adopted my little guy (Jerry, 1 year old) from the shelter about 6
      or so weeks ago (I asked for the kitty that needed a home most, he'd
      been there 4 months, and sick for most of it.. they didn't know the
      half of his problems :( ).

      I found out 3 days after I got him that he has a heart murmur and
      needed a bunch of dental work.. and through the tests (x-rays,
      ultrasound, doppler ultrasound, ECG) the news just seemed to get
      worse and worse. I'm sure you guys know how this is.. at first the
      teeth were the 'serious' problem, then the heart murmur was, then the
      heart disease was, now the arrhythmia is top on the list (they
      repeated the ECG half a dozen times and replaced the devices battery,
      as an attempt to explain the results.. the device was fine :( ).

      His weight was dropping really fast.. so he got put on a diet
      of 'anything he will eat'.. which through a lot of experimentation, I
      think I have got that nailed.. he is eating almost as much as he
      should..

      Problem is, his teeth are starting to cause him pain, and they can't
      operate on him because of his heart.. if I don't get his teeth fixed,
      he'll stop eating.. they are cautious about medication to help with
      the heart disease because of the arrhythmia, and vice versa..
      everything is a complete circle, I'm so frustrated because I can't
      seem to find any way to help him.

      From what I've been told he's coping quite well with everything thats
      going on (he's pretty active and happy still).. but because so much
      is going on, the outlook isn't great.. we go for tests every week
      (another ECG tomorrow).. and the list of things that I'm supposed to
      get to the vet ASAP about is getting longer..

      I'm reading all I can about all the things that are effecting him..
      but I feel as lost as I was when I started.. not only do I not
      understand what's going on with him, I don't even know what to ask..
      aside from the 'how long does he have' question, which gets 0
      answers.. and the 'what can I do for him' .. which gets 'love him and
      make him happy'.. well geez.. I'd do THAT even if he wasn't sick..

      Anyways.. there's not really much point to this post, except I
      figured the people here could understand how I'm feeling.. and I
      really needed to let out my frustrations and feelings of
      helplessness..

      Thanks for listening
      Dawn
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2004
        Dawn,

        Sorry to hear about Jerry's problems. Regarding his
        teeth, isoflourane is the anesthetic mentioned most
        for heart kitties.

        susan

        --- fraay11 <fraay@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > (another ECG tomorrow).. and the list of things that
        > I'm supposed to
        > get to the vet ASAP about is getting longer..
        >
        > I'm reading all I can about all the things that are
        > effecting him..
        > but I feel as lost as I was when I started.. not
        > only do I not
        > understand what's going on with him, I don't even
        > know what to ask..
        > aside from the 'how long does he have' question,
        > which gets 0
        > answers.. and the 'what can I do for him' .. which
        > gets 'love him and
        > make him happy'.. well geez.. I'd do THAT even if he
        > wasn't sick..
        >
        > Anyways.. there's not really much point to this
        > post, except I
        > figured the people here could understand how I'm
        > feeling.. and I
        > really needed to let out my frustrations and

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

        http://vote.yahoo.com
      • fraay11
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2004
          They tried two 'heart safe' drugs on him during one of his
          unpleasantly long vet visits for tests (the one where he got lots of
          ECGs).. one had no effect.. and the other was supposed to need to be
          reversed, they were surprised when he came out of it on his own, and
          said giving him more wasn't an option.. of course I can't remember
          the names of either, but I know there is some concern about his
          resistance to being sedated (thats my little fighter!!! :) )..

          I will certainly ask about isoflourane tomorrow at the vet, thank you
          very much.