Re: Buffett's Bad Breathing

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
      I am so sorry Buffett is having difficulties breathing. I hope he
      is at the regular veterinarian this morning.

      As for extra atenolol....I wouldn't give your cat more heart
      medication unless it was advised by your cardiologist. My
      understanding is that it slows down the heart rate. It could be
      dangerous to slow down Buffett's heart rate too much.

      Please let us know how he is doing.

      SAB (Sarah)

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "ekitn" <ekitn@y...> wrote:

      > I've been blessed with seven happy months since Buffett's initial
      > diagnosis. We went through a lot to save my little angel and it's
      > looking like we might have another really difficult battle.
      >
      > We came home late last night to find him breathing really hard -
      > open mouthed, head forward & his sides collapsing in hard with
      every
      > breath. I called the emergency vet, but he couldn't offer any at
      > home suggestions. (and he's not the most personable guy, to
      boot)
      > Buffett gets INCREDIBLY stressed out on car journeys...
      pants,meows,
      > etc. Given that, along with visiting a non-familiar, not so
      > friendly emergency vet, I decided not to take him in to the
      clinic.
      > I have left a frantic message for his normal vet, in hopes of some
      > sage advice, as she sometimes comes in on Sundays.
      >
      > In the meantime, I have nothing but tears. I've already given him
      > an extra dose of Lasix... I'm wondering if a higher dose of
      atenolol
      > would help at all? I will talk to my vet to see what she thinks,
      > but I'm curious to know if a higher dosage has ever been Rx'd for
      > and/or helped any of your fur babies...?
      >
      > Here's Buffett's current regimen:
      > Atenolol 25mg 1/4 tab 1x day, Enalapril 2.5mg 1/2 tab 1x day,
      Lasix