Buffett's Bad Breathing

  • ekitn
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2004
      I've been blessed with seven happy months since Buffett's initial
      diagnosis. We went through a lot to save my little angel and it's
      looking like we might have another really difficult battle.

      We came home late last night to find him breathing really hard -
      open mouthed, head forward & his sides collapsing in hard with every
      breath. I called the emergency vet, but he couldn't offer any at
      home suggestions. (and he's not the most personable guy, to boot)
      Buffett gets INCREDIBLY stressed out on car journeys... pants,meows,
      etc. Given that, along with visiting a non-familiar, not so
      friendly emergency vet, I decided not to take him in to the clinic.
      I have left a frantic message for his normal vet, in hopes of some
      sage advice, as she sometimes comes in on Sundays.

      In the meantime, I have nothing but tears. I've already given him
      an extra dose of Lasix... I'm wondering if a higher dose of atenolol
      would help at all? I will talk to my vet to see what she thinks,
      but I'm curious to know if a higher dosage has ever been Rx'd for
      and/or helped any of your fur babies...?

      Here's Buffett's current regimen:
      Atenolol 25mg 1/4 tab 1x day, Enalapril 2.5mg 1/2 tab 1x day, Lasix
      20mg 1/2 tab 2x day, Aspirin 81mg tab 2x week

      Any advice & prayers would be greatly appreciated.
      =*(
      Theresia & Buffett
    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
        I am so sorry Buffett is having difficulties breathing. I hope he
        is at the regular veterinarian this morning.

        As for extra atenolol....I wouldn't give your cat more heart
        medication unless it was advised by your cardiologist. My
        understanding is that it slows down the heart rate. It could be
        dangerous to slow down Buffett's heart rate too much.

        Please let us know how he is doing.

        SAB (Sarah)