Baby Boy update

  • lclarizia@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2004
      Hi all,

      We went to the vet yesterday for a check to see how Baby Boy is doing on the
      enalapril. I was pretty sure he was doing well -- his appetite came back in
      spades, and his breathing was much better -- the rate is about the same but his
      breaths are less deep and more normal-looking. He also appears to have a lot
      more energy.

      The first bit of good news came when he was weighed. He'd been 10 lbs a week
      ago Friday, decided to stop eating over the weekend and the following Monday
      (two days later) had gone down to 9.4 lbs. Yesterday (five days later) he'd
      gone up to 9.8 lbs.

      The next bit of happiness came during his physical exam -- his heart rate was
      measured twice, coming out at 160 and 140 bpm. He had been running between
      180 and 160. While he's generally outwardly very calm at the vet's, his HR
      tends to go up the second a stethoscope is placed on him -- either way, his HR
      has gone down, and is possibly even lower than was measured. He also had a
      blood draw, and all is well there.

      Finally, the best news came with his x-ray. His pleural effusion is GONE. I
      knew it even before the vet came to tell me, while we were in the exam room
      waiting for him I could hear clapping, cheers and "Look you can finally see the
      outline of his heart!" and "Way to go Rebound Kitty!" coming from the back
      (Baby Boy's real name is Rebound Kitty, Baby Boy is his nickname). My little
      guy is a big favorite there because he's so pretty and a very social cat. It
      was great to see how happy the vet and all the techs were about how well my
      little guy is doing -- I love those people.

      So, the enalapril is working, and working well. He goes back again in two
      weeks for another exam, x-ray and bloodwork and if all is well then, we'll go to
      monthly visits for the time being. He is also going to go to a cardiologist
      for an echo in the next month -- now that he's feeling better, I'm more
      comfortable putting him through that -- so we'll have another metric to gauge his
      progress. He is continuing to take lasix along with the enalapril, but the vet
      is going to conitnue to lower his dose as time goes on.

      All in all, I am so relieved. He looks and acts like he did before he got
      sick. I know this isn't over with, and that crises and relapses can occur, but
      I'm so happy that for now he's feeling well and enjoying life. So many thanks
      to all of you for helping me through this -- you'll never know how much
      you've helped me.

      Lisa