Re: DIET QUESTION

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2004
      Hi,

      I am catching up on reading posts. So, please excuse me if this
      post is redundant.

      Before I found out my cat had heart disease, I feed him Natural
      Choice Weight Management food. He has been on a high fiber diet
      since he was a 10-month-old cat (veterinarian recommended) because
      it was the only food that didn't make his stomach upset. Later on,
      I started giving him wet food intermittently.

      Once I found out he had HCM, I researched the importance of diet.
      Though a raw meat diet may be ideal, it is not a realistic option in
      my household. So, I give him wet food twice a day when he gets his
      medication. After reading labels, I buy him the brands Wellness and
      Wysong.

      He only likes beef and chicken. Funny cat....he has never been fond
      of seafood. I also give him 1/4 cup Royal Canin Adult 32 dry food
      mixed with a little of the high fiber dry food. I try to balance
      his fiber needs with getting more moisture in his diet (as he is on
      Lasix, a diuretic).

      He seems to be doing okay on that diet. He is not loosing weight on
      the diltiazem, and the wet food after his medication is to entail
      that his pill disolves in his stomach instead of his esophagus.

      I might try to find a higher quality dry food. I do not give him
      treats. They are high in sodium, and, though he is not on a sodium
      restricted diet, I try to give him only moderate amounts of sodium.

      SAB (Sarah)