Re: [FH] DIET QUESTION

  • savionna@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 26, 2004
      Hi Lisa,

      In a message dated 9/25/04 12:55:13 PM, lclarizia@... writes:

      << Yes, we've been over that -- historically, they got a can of wet food
      between
      them in the morning and evening, and a bowl of dry food for each to self-feed
      on during the day. >>

      Have you figured the amt of calories you're feeding? Are you considering
      reducing, then eliminating the dry food (esp for the obese cat)? Some caregivers
      use a timed feeder with a built-in gel pack to provide meat-based meals thru
      the day when they're not home. Another option is to simply place the bowls on a
      gel-pack on a tray or cookie sheet.

      << The vet really likes the philosophy behing Wysong --
      meat, intermittant feeding etc. >>

      Dr. Wysong has made a valuable contribution to our understanding of feline
      nutrition...and his company does try to act respectfully toward animals and the
      greater environment. However, a number of his cat products are quite outdated
      and continue to contain high amts of carbohydrate from cereal grains (not
      foliage plants).

      << As the vet put it, cats don't eat soy in the wild. >>

      He's completely correct. Nor do they eat corn, wheat, yeast, or ethoxyquin.
      For that matter, they also don't eat chicken, beef, and lamb...however, those
      food sources at least contain nutrients that cats need in a form that cats can
      process, generally without negative biological response.

      << He told me he's seen a huge increase in animals with food allegeries in
      his practice lately,
      which he thinks is directly related to the amount of grain in commercial
      foods. >>

      Yes, skin and digestive reactions are thought to be directly related to
      grains, as well as to a number of other common animal-feed ingredients...eg yeast,
      soy, fish, byproducts, and synthetic additives...with which a cat's immune
      system has no evolutionary experience and to which the immune system naturally
      reacts, increasingly pathologically.

      Species-inappropriate nutrition is also a major contributing factor to
      various other "epidemics" now affecting cats, incl obesity, diabetes, chronic
      urinary infection, renal impairment, dental/gum disease, and on and on.

      << I never really thought about what I fed the cats,
      other than if they'd actually eat it or not (they're both on the picky side).

      Nutrition is the foundation for *everything* that happens in the body.
      Without nutrients, the body cannot maintain and repair itself. Selecting quality
      sources of necessary nutrients is the most important thing a caregiver can do for
      an animal.

      << thanks for all those sites as well! >>

      You're welcome. // Rosemary