Re: [FH] Re: Anyone have a cat with Cardiomyopothy?

  • diane
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
      Some suggestions from one that has "been there, done that".

      Also ask your vet if they have the "CareCredit" card. It has higher
      interest than most, but usually a 3 month grace period for the first
      charge. Came in quite handy for us, but like I said, you don't want
      to carry that balance for too long if the rate is still high.

      Check out http://www.imom.org They do have requirements for helping,
      but you may meet them or they may be able to give other suggestions.

      The fundraiser idea is a good one. I for one would never ask my
      family for help with my pets (well, maybe if I had absolutely no
      other choice). But when a cat got hit by a car on our street a few
      years ago, I brought him to our vet and was so moved by how upset the
      owner was when we finally found her, that not only did we pay for the
      bill at our vet so she could move him to hers, but I passed some
      flyers out on the street and in work that about this cat and his
      needed shoulder surgery. I ended up collecting over $200 for her (she
      was *not* happy with me LOL). Funny thing is that when she went to
      pick him up from her vet after the surgery, she found out someone
      else had paid *that* bill. The real nice end to the story is that she
      had all this money left over, that she gave me everything back, she
      couldn't bare to use it for every day items like food and litter and
      was all set with his medical expenses. I returned what I could (many
      people wouldn't take it back) and donated the rest back to my vet in
      her name.

      This isn't as easy to do anymore, but way back when pets.com had an
      affiliate program. I had signed up for that and for a few months
      actually earned about $100 each month that went right to my kidney
      cats bills.

      Pets.com isn't around anymore, but perhaps you have some books or
      other things that can be sold on ebay or amazon.com.

      Just some idle thoughts! Best of luck and keep us posted,

      Diane
    • lclarizia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2004
        In a message dated 9/8/2004 7:46:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        diane@... writes:

        > The fundraiser idea is a good one. I for one would never ask my
        > family for help with my pets (well, maybe if I had absolutely no
        > other choice).

        I'm lucky, most of my family are pet-centered. Most of us have pets, and
        more than once family has chipped in for vet bills. It's good to have that
        support system. What a great thing you did for that kitty and the owner! Not many
        people would do so much.

        Lisa