Question on fluids ...

  • Jcatj50@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2004
      Hello everyone
      As you may remember my Ivory has CRF and was just Diagnosed with heart
      problems (HCM).
      She was getting fluids every day at 75 ml ... but now can only get 38 ml EOD.
      Her kidneys numbers seem to be holding pretty good at this point. But now
      that I'm not using the fluids as much I'm concerned as to how long to keep an
      opened bag.
      Can you guys give me some feedback on how long you keep a bag of fluids once
      it has been opened? Can you store them in a special way to keep them longer?
      Thanks
      Ivory and Jodean

    • jen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2004
        Jodean,

        In human medicine we generally keep the fluids for 48 hours after
        opening, then another bag is spiked. When I worked at the vet
        clinic, we would keep a subQ fluid bag open for upwards of a week
        without problem.

        You can get fluids in just about any size from a 25 ml bag for
        medication administration, to a 2 liter bag for irrigation. I would
        ask your vet about getting a different size if you are concerned.
        In my opinion, a week is about the longest I would want to keep a
        spiked bag.

        I'm glad to hear your kitty is doing so well!

        jen, deagan and kira the dog