Re: [FH] Re: Sasquatch - begging for treats and bossing other cats around!

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
      As an aside I recently realized that while I had read
      quite a bit about human CHF, I had not read much about
      human HCM. Though it is true many cases of human HCM
      become apparent in adolescence and young adulthood,
      some cases are geriatric. I have seen references to
      younger onset feline HCM being more acute. Perhaps
      geriatric HCM is more likely to be benign and a hands
      off approach more likely to be appropriate.

      I found the following article on human HCM
      interesting. Apparently the rationale for treating
      asymptomatics is not even resolved for people:

      http://www.acc.org/clinical/consensus/cardiomyopathy/VIII_symptoms.htm

      Susan

      --- brinkett <scrubbrush@...> wrote:

      > > (Plus, she does remind me he is almost 15 years
      > old - and since
      > the
      > > HCM is MILD at this point, the NOT eating or
      > drinking or moving
      > > around is probably worse for him than NOT having
      > the meds.)
      >
      > I agree with the vet. As an aside, we had a cat
      > with with a
      > noticeably enlarged heart that showed up on X-rays
      > when she was
      > about 13 (they just happened to see it on X-ray, I
      > can't recall
      > right now why the X-rays were done but it wasn't due
      > to heart
      > related symptoms). We were completely ignorant of
      > heart diseases at
      > the time and it was never suggested to us that the
      > issue be pursued,
      > so no ultrasound was done and basically we just
      > shrugged over it.
      > She lived to 17 and a half and died from something
      > completely
      > unrelated to her heart. She never went into
      > congestive heart
      > failure. I'm going to guess that she may have had
      > asymptomatic HCM.
      >
      > Glad to hear that Sasquatch is perking up! :-)
      >
      > Sarah.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
    • Sarah
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
        Hmmmm? That is curious. I am sure glad Monkey was better the
        following morning. Has she ever had asthma? As you mentioned she
        had problems breathing, I wonder if she had some sort of asthma
        attack? Perhaps, you should take her in for a check up (have the
        vet listen to her lungs, etc.)

        SAB (Sarah)

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "molly" <monkey@s...> wrote:
        > No lip smacking, and no vomiting ... it's possible, I suppose ...
        but she
        > also exhibited the problem with breathing ... of course, it could
        have just
        > looked like that if she was really miserable as a result of
        something else.
        > I'm trying to think if there's anything she could have eaten or
        gotten into
        > that I didn't notice, but nothing comes to mind.
        >
        > Molly

      • molly
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
          Yes this was a strange incident... we did go to the vet the very next day.
          I don't know if you've seen pictures of a cat in congestive heart failure?
          ... standing with neck stretched, etc... this was what it looked like. I'm
          still of the mind that it had something to do with her HCM ... fortunately,
          she's been doing well since then. Monkey has been lucky to respond to the
          heart meds ... before medication, she had no energy and just lay around all
          of the time, occasionally in the pose I described above, staring at the wall
          ... it's so good to see her up and about.

          Molly

          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
            When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck. He
            crouched under the bed and his breathing seemed "crackly." When we
            got to the ER, I learned that the crackly sound was the fluid in his
            lungs. Also, his breath per minute rate was around 80.

            He has only done the outstretched neck posture when he has (what I
            call) an "asthma attack." For him, I believe the outstretched neck
            and coughing is bronchial related.

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
              A really good source for evaluating respiratory
              distress is:

              Emergency Respiratory Assessment

              http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00100.htm

              One should look for the postural manifestations of
              dyspnea (respiratory distress) such as an extended
              neck, abducted elbows, open mouth breathing, an
              anxious facial expression, increased abdominal
              movement, and paradoxical abdominal movement.
              Straightening of the neck and open mouth breathing
              occur in both dogs and cats, however, some other
              postural manifestations of more severe dyspnea vary
              between species. Dogs prefer to stand with abducted
              elbows, while cats tend to sit in sternal recumbency
              (meatloaf position). Constantly changing body position
              in cats implies a much worse degree of dyspnea than it
              does in dogs. Lateral recumbency (laying on side) due
              to dyspnea is a serious sign in a dog; however, it
              often means impending respiratory arrest in a cat.
              Another flag to pull out the endotracheal tubes is the
              marked mydriasis (dilation of the pupils) that cats
              will develop immediately prior to respiratory arrest.

              http://messenger.yahoo.com
            • lclarizia@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                In a message dated 9/8/2004 1:06:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                burke43@... writes:

                > When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck. He
                > crouched under the bed and his breathing seemed "crackly." When we
                > got to the ER, I learned that the crackly sound was the fluid in his
                > lungs. Also, his breath per minute rate was around 80.

                Mine didn't either ... he was in another room, when I heard the "hairball"
                sound. When he came out, he seemed like he was breathing a little too fast, and
                that his abdominal muscles were pulling in a little too deeply. Otherwise,
                he was stretched out on the floor in his usual sleep posture, purring. I had a
                gut feeling something was wrong, but figured I was imagining things and felt
                like an idiot calling my vet out on an emergency when probably nothing was
                wrong ... thank God I listened to my gut.

                Lisa

              • brinkett
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                  > > When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck.

                  > Mine didn't either ...

                  Nor mine. I could always tell when Morag had fluid from her
                  respiration rate and pattern. She never had an outstretched neck in
                  all of her bouts with fluid. It probably depends on the cat, so
                  don't wait for an outstretched neck before taking your cat in if you
                  think the cat has fluid. You might never see it.

                  Sarah.
                • Linda Fischbach
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                    Last year I put Respiration-Breathing Pattern Assessment.doc in the files
                    section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/files/ . This was
                    writtens by a member of Feline CRF Support whose cat had heart disease as
                    well as CRF. She posted this to CRF Support, and I got her permission to
                    put it into our files.

                    Linda