Re: Sasquatch - begging for treats and bossing other cats around!

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
      > (Plus, she does remind me he is almost 15 years old - and since
      the
      > HCM is MILD at this point, the NOT eating or drinking or moving
      > around is probably worse for him than NOT having the meds.)

      I agree with the vet. As an aside, we had a cat with with a
      noticeably enlarged heart that showed up on X-rays when she was
      about 13 (they just happened to see it on X-ray, I can't recall
      right now why the X-rays were done but it wasn't due to heart
      related symptoms). We were completely ignorant of heart diseases at
      the time and it was never suggested to us that the issue be pursued,
      so no ultrasound was done and basically we just shrugged over it.
      She lived to 17 and a half and died from something completely
      unrelated to her heart. She never went into congestive heart
      failure. I'm going to guess that she may have had asymptomatic HCM.

      Glad to hear that Sasquatch is perking up! :-)

      Sarah.
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
        As an aside I recently realized that while I had read
        quite a bit about human CHF, I had not read much about
        human HCM. Though it is true many cases of human HCM
        become apparent in adolescence and young adulthood,
        some cases are geriatric. I have seen references to
        younger onset feline HCM being more acute. Perhaps
        geriatric HCM is more likely to be benign and a hands
        off approach more likely to be appropriate.

        I found the following article on human HCM
        interesting. Apparently the rationale for treating
        asymptomatics is not even resolved for people:

        http://www.acc.org/clinical/consensus/cardiomyopathy/VIII_symptoms.htm

        Susan

        --- brinkett <scrubbrush@...> wrote:

        > > (Plus, she does remind me he is almost 15 years
        > old - and since
        > the
        > > HCM is MILD at this point, the NOT eating or
        > drinking or moving
        > > around is probably worse for him than NOT having
        > the meds.)
        >
        > I agree with the vet. As an aside, we had a cat
        > with with a
        > noticeably enlarged heart that showed up on X-rays
        > when she was
        > about 13 (they just happened to see it on X-ray, I
        > can't recall
        > right now why the X-rays were done but it wasn't due
        > to heart
        > related symptoms). We were completely ignorant of
        > heart diseases at
        > the time and it was never suggested to us that the
        > issue be pursued,
        > so no ultrasound was done and basically we just
        > shrugged over it.
        > She lived to 17 and a half and died from something
        > completely
        > unrelated to her heart. She never went into
        > congestive heart
        > failure. I'm going to guess that she may have had
        > asymptomatic HCM.
        >
        > Glad to hear that Sasquatch is perking up! :-)
        >
        > Sarah.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
      • Sarah
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
          Hmmmm? That is curious. I am sure glad Monkey was better the
          following morning. Has she ever had asthma? As you mentioned she
          had problems breathing, I wonder if she had some sort of asthma
          attack? Perhaps, you should take her in for a check up (have the
          vet listen to her lungs, etc.)

          SAB (Sarah)

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "molly" <monkey@s...> wrote:
          > No lip smacking, and no vomiting ... it's possible, I suppose ...
          but she
          > also exhibited the problem with breathing ... of course, it could
          have just
          > looked like that if she was really miserable as a result of
          something else.
          > I'm trying to think if there's anything she could have eaten or
          gotten into
          > that I didn't notice, but nothing comes to mind.
          >
          > Molly

        • molly
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
            Yes this was a strange incident... we did go to the vet the very next day.
            I don't know if you've seen pictures of a cat in congestive heart failure?
            ... standing with neck stretched, etc... this was what it looked like. I'm
            still of the mind that it had something to do with her HCM ... fortunately,
            she's been doing well since then. Monkey has been lucky to respond to the
            heart meds ... before medication, she had no energy and just lay around all
            of the time, occasionally in the pose I described above, staring at the wall
            ... it's so good to see her up and about.

            Molly

            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
              When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck. He
              crouched under the bed and his breathing seemed "crackly." When we
              got to the ER, I learned that the crackly sound was the fluid in his
              lungs. Also, his breath per minute rate was around 80.

              He has only done the outstretched neck posture when he has (what I
              call) an "asthma attack." For him, I believe the outstretched neck
              and coughing is bronchial related.

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                A really good source for evaluating respiratory
                distress is:

                Emergency Respiratory Assessment

                http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00100.htm

                One should look for the postural manifestations of
                dyspnea (respiratory distress) such as an extended
                neck, abducted elbows, open mouth breathing, an
                anxious facial expression, increased abdominal
                movement, and paradoxical abdominal movement.
                Straightening of the neck and open mouth breathing
                occur in both dogs and cats, however, some other
                postural manifestations of more severe dyspnea vary
                between species. Dogs prefer to stand with abducted
                elbows, while cats tend to sit in sternal recumbency
                (meatloaf position). Constantly changing body position
                in cats implies a much worse degree of dyspnea than it
                does in dogs. Lateral recumbency (laying on side) due
                to dyspnea is a serious sign in a dog; however, it
                often means impending respiratory arrest in a cat.
                Another flag to pull out the endotracheal tubes is the
                marked mydriasis (dilation of the pupils) that cats
                will develop immediately prior to respiratory arrest.

                http://messenger.yahoo.com
              • lclarizia@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                  In a message dated 9/8/2004 1:06:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  burke43@... writes:

                  > When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck. He
                  > crouched under the bed and his breathing seemed "crackly." When we
                  > got to the ER, I learned that the crackly sound was the fluid in his
                  > lungs. Also, his breath per minute rate was around 80.

                  Mine didn't either ... he was in another room, when I heard the "hairball"
                  sound. When he came out, he seemed like he was breathing a little too fast, and
                  that his abdominal muscles were pulling in a little too deeply. Otherwise,
                  he was stretched out on the floor in his usual sleep posture, purring. I had a
                  gut feeling something was wrong, but figured I was imagining things and felt
                  like an idiot calling my vet out on an emergency when probably nothing was
                  wrong ... thank God I listened to my gut.

                  Lisa

                • brinkett
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                    > > When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck.

                    > Mine didn't either ...

                    Nor mine. I could always tell when Morag had fluid from her
                    respiration rate and pattern. She never had an outstretched neck in
                    all of her bouts with fluid. It probably depends on the cat, so
                    don't wait for an outstretched neck before taking your cat in if you
                    think the cat has fluid. You might never see it.

                    Sarah.
                  • Linda Fischbach
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                      Last year I put Respiration-Breathing Pattern Assessment.doc in the files
                      section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/files/ . This was
                      writtens by a member of Feline CRF Support whose cat had heart disease as
                      well as CRF. She posted this to CRF Support, and I got her permission to
                      put it into our files.

                      Linda