RE: [FH] Sasquatch & a general question

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
      --- molly <monkey@...> wrote:

      > little Persian named
      > Monkey who has HCM ... She's been on meds since
      > March ... a vasodiolator and
      > a diuretic and has been doing better ... more
      > energy, etc... but on Tuesday,
      > she had a horrible day ... first problem I noticed
      > was a bout of near
      > diarrhea, but didn't think too much of it, then she
      > was looking very droopy
      > and began drooling copiously, obviously having a
      > rough time breathing with
      > the classic stare at the wall pose and very unsteady
      > when she walked ... no
      > coughing or cries of pain.

      Molly,

      I'm not sure but drooling can be a sign of nausea. Was
      there also lip licking? Maybe a stomach virus?

      Susan

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
    • molly
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 2, 2004
        No lip smacking, and no vomiting ... it's possible, I suppose ... but she
        also exhibited the problem with breathing ... of course, it could have just
        looked like that if she was really miserable as a result of something else.
        I'm trying to think if there's anything she could have eaten or gotten into
        that I didn't notice, but nothing comes to mind.

        Molly
        > Monkey who has HCM ... She's been on meds since
        > March ... a vasodiolator and
        > a diuretic and has been doing better ... more
        > energy, etc... but on Tuesday,
        > she had a horrible day ... first problem I noticed
        > was a bout of near
        > diarrhea, but didn't think too much of it, then she
        > was looking very droopy
        > and began drooling copiously, obviously having a
        > rough time breathing with
        > the classic stare at the wall pose and very unsteady
        > when she walked ... no
        > coughing or cries of pain.

        Molly,

        I'm not sure but drooling can be a sign of nausea. Was
        there also lip licking? Maybe a stomach virus?

        Susan

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush

        feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
          > (Plus, she does remind me he is almost 15 years old - and since
          the
          > HCM is MILD at this point, the NOT eating or drinking or moving
          > around is probably worse for him than NOT having the meds.)

          I agree with the vet. As an aside, we had a cat with with a
          noticeably enlarged heart that showed up on X-rays when she was
          about 13 (they just happened to see it on X-ray, I can't recall
          right now why the X-rays were done but it wasn't due to heart
          related symptoms). We were completely ignorant of heart diseases at
          the time and it was never suggested to us that the issue be pursued,
          so no ultrasound was done and basically we just shrugged over it.
          She lived to 17 and a half and died from something completely
          unrelated to her heart. She never went into congestive heart
          failure. I'm going to guess that she may have had asymptomatic HCM.

          Glad to hear that Sasquatch is perking up! :-)

          Sarah.
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 3, 2004
            As an aside I recently realized that while I had read
            quite a bit about human CHF, I had not read much about
            human HCM. Though it is true many cases of human HCM
            become apparent in adolescence and young adulthood,
            some cases are geriatric. I have seen references to
            younger onset feline HCM being more acute. Perhaps
            geriatric HCM is more likely to be benign and a hands
            off approach more likely to be appropriate.

            I found the following article on human HCM
            interesting. Apparently the rationale for treating
            asymptomatics is not even resolved for people:

            http://www.acc.org/clinical/consensus/cardiomyopathy/VIII_symptoms.htm

            Susan

            --- brinkett <scrubbrush@...> wrote:

            > > (Plus, she does remind me he is almost 15 years
            > old - and since
            > the
            > > HCM is MILD at this point, the NOT eating or
            > drinking or moving
            > > around is probably worse for him than NOT having
            > the meds.)
            >
            > I agree with the vet. As an aside, we had a cat
            > with with a
            > noticeably enlarged heart that showed up on X-rays
            > when she was
            > about 13 (they just happened to see it on X-ray, I
            > can't recall
            > right now why the X-rays were done but it wasn't due
            > to heart
            > related symptoms). We were completely ignorant of
            > heart diseases at
            > the time and it was never suggested to us that the
            > issue be pursued,
            > so no ultrasound was done and basically we just
            > shrugged over it.
            > She lived to 17 and a half and died from something
            > completely
            > unrelated to her heart. She never went into
            > congestive heart
            > failure. I'm going to guess that she may have had
            > asymptomatic HCM.
            >
            > Glad to hear that Sasquatch is perking up! :-)
            >
            > Sarah.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
          • Sarah
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
              Hmmmm? That is curious. I am sure glad Monkey was better the
              following morning. Has she ever had asthma? As you mentioned she
              had problems breathing, I wonder if she had some sort of asthma
              attack? Perhaps, you should take her in for a check up (have the
              vet listen to her lungs, etc.)

              SAB (Sarah)

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "molly" <monkey@s...> wrote:
              > No lip smacking, and no vomiting ... it's possible, I suppose ...
              but she
              > also exhibited the problem with breathing ... of course, it could
              have just
              > looked like that if she was really miserable as a result of
              something else.
              > I'm trying to think if there's anything she could have eaten or
              gotten into
              > that I didn't notice, but nothing comes to mind.
              >
              > Molly

            • molly
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2004
                Yes this was a strange incident... we did go to the vet the very next day.
                I don't know if you've seen pictures of a cat in congestive heart failure?
                ... standing with neck stretched, etc... this was what it looked like. I'm
                still of the mind that it had something to do with her HCM ... fortunately,
                she's been doing well since then. Monkey has been lucky to respond to the
                heart meds ... before medication, she had no energy and just lay around all
                of the time, occasionally in the pose I described above, staring at the wall
                ... it's so good to see her up and about.

                Molly

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                  When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck. He
                  crouched under the bed and his breathing seemed "crackly." When we
                  got to the ER, I learned that the crackly sound was the fluid in his
                  lungs. Also, his breath per minute rate was around 80.

                  He has only done the outstretched neck posture when he has (what I
                  call) an "asthma attack." For him, I believe the outstretched neck
                  and coughing is bronchial related.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                    A really good source for evaluating respiratory
                    distress is:

                    Emergency Respiratory Assessment

                    http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00100.htm

                    One should look for the postural manifestations of
                    dyspnea (respiratory distress) such as an extended
                    neck, abducted elbows, open mouth breathing, an
                    anxious facial expression, increased abdominal
                    movement, and paradoxical abdominal movement.
                    Straightening of the neck and open mouth breathing
                    occur in both dogs and cats, however, some other
                    postural manifestations of more severe dyspnea vary
                    between species. Dogs prefer to stand with abducted
                    elbows, while cats tend to sit in sternal recumbency
                    (meatloaf position). Constantly changing body position
                    in cats implies a much worse degree of dyspnea than it
                    does in dogs. Lateral recumbency (laying on side) due
                    to dyspnea is a serious sign in a dog; however, it
                    often means impending respiratory arrest in a cat.
                    Another flag to pull out the endotracheal tubes is the
                    marked mydriasis (dilation of the pupils) that cats
                    will develop immediately prior to respiratory arrest.

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com
                  • lclarizia@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                      In a message dated 9/8/2004 1:06:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      burke43@... writes:

                      > When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck. He
                      > crouched under the bed and his breathing seemed "crackly." When we
                      > got to the ER, I learned that the crackly sound was the fluid in his
                      > lungs. Also, his breath per minute rate was around 80.

                      Mine didn't either ... he was in another room, when I heard the "hairball"
                      sound. When he came out, he seemed like he was breathing a little too fast, and
                      that his abdominal muscles were pulling in a little too deeply. Otherwise,
                      he was stretched out on the floor in his usual sleep posture, purring. I had a
                      gut feeling something was wrong, but figured I was imagining things and felt
                      like an idiot calling my vet out on an emergency when probably nothing was
                      wrong ... thank God I listened to my gut.

                      Lisa

                    • brinkett
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                        > > When my got was in CHF, he did not have an outstretched neck.

                        > Mine didn't either ...

                        Nor mine. I could always tell when Morag had fluid from her
                        respiration rate and pattern. She never had an outstretched neck in
                        all of her bouts with fluid. It probably depends on the cat, so
                        don't wait for an outstretched neck before taking your cat in if you
                        think the cat has fluid. You might never see it.

                        Sarah.
                      • Linda Fischbach
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 8, 2004
                          Last year I put Respiration-Breathing Pattern Assessment.doc in the files
                          section http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feline-heart/files/ . This was
                          writtens by a member of Feline CRF Support whose cat had heart disease as
                          well as CRF. She posted this to CRF Support, and I got her permission to
                          put it into our files.

                          Linda