Question on Atenolol

  • jcat502003
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 26, 2004
      I have another question this one is on Ivory's heart medication
      Atenolol.
      I just read the data sheet on this drug. Some of the side effects
      were sore throat and shortness of breath or wheezing. There were
      others but I've been seeing the above 3 in Ivory about an hour after
      she gets her dose.
      Has anyone else seen these in there kitties?
      And if so what do you do?
      Do they go away or do you have to change the medication?
      Thanks
      Ivory and Jodean
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 27, 2004
        Jodean,

        Because the data sheets we get with our drugs are for
        humans, I am not sure how applicable they are. I would
        ask your vet about any side effects you atribute to
        the atenolol to see if they are considered clinically
        relevant. Here is what I have for atenolol according
        to the Plumb Book of Veterinary Drugs:

        Remember these are POSSIBLE side effects and that
        atenolol is beta1 specific unlike propanolol which is
        non-specific. This means atenolol is less likely to
        have an effect on the beta-andergenic receptors in the
        lungs than propanolol. Also the part about not using
        beta-blockade in CHF is now considered somewhat old
        school as combo beta-blockade, ACE inhibitor, plus
        adiuretic regimen is now the gold standard
        in human CHF. See:

        Management of Feline Cardiomyopathies - Dr. Phil Fox
        http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings.plx?CID=WALTHAMOSU2002&PID=2991

        Plumb Handbook of Veterinaty Drugs:

        Contraindications/Precautions/Reproductive Safety

        Atenolol is contraindicated in patients with overt
        heart failure, hypersensitivity to this class of
        agents, greater than first degree heart block, or
        sinus bradycardia. beta-blockers are
        generally contraindicated in patients with CHF unless
        secondary to a tachyarrhythmia responsive to
        beta-blocker therapy. They are also relatively
        contraindicated in patients with bronchospastic lung
        disease.

        Atenolol should be used cautiously in patients with
        significant renal insufficiency. It should also be
        used cautiously in patients with sinus node
        dysfunction.

        Atenolol (at high dosages) can mask the symptoms
        associated with hypoglycemia. It can also cause
        hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia and, therefore, should
        be used cautiously in labile diabetic patients.

        Atenolol can mask the symptoms associated with
        thyrotoxicosis, but it may be used clinically to treat
        the symptoms associated with this
        condition.

        Adverse Effects/Warnings

        It is reported that adverse effects most commonly
        occur in geriatric animals or those that have acute
        decompensating heart disease. Adverse effects
        considered to be clinically relevant include:
        bradycardia, lethargy and depression, impaired AV
        conduction, CHF or worsening of heart failure,
        hypotension, hypoglycemia, and bronchoconstriction
        (less so with beta1 specific drugs like
        atenolol). Syncope and diarrhea have also been
        reported in canine patients with beta blockers.
        Lethargy and hypotension may be noted
        within 1 hour of administration.

        Exacerbation of symptoms have been reported following
        abrupt cessation of beta-blockers in humans. It is
        recommended to withdraw therapy gradually in patients
        who have been receiving the drug chronically.

        Susan

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/goldrush
      • mainecoonsusa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 27, 2004
          Hi there,

          I can't really answer your questions about the atenolol, other than to tell you my experience with it. My cat was on atenolol for well over a year with no ill effects. One day I noticed that he started to cough and was doing so every day about the same time. A trip to the vet determined that my cat no only has HCM, but asthma as well. And, it turns out that atenolol aggravates asthma. So we had to wean him off of it and get him on other meds. As you can see by my sig. line, he's on quite a bit of meds now.

          JoAnn

          --
          JoAnn & Connor

          1/2 of 30 mg Diltiazem 2x a day
          1/2 of 2.5 mg Enalalpril 2x a day
          1/2 of 12.5 mg Lasix 2x a day
          1/4 of .125 mg Digoxin 1x a day
          low dose Aspirin 2x a week for HCM

          1 puff 110 Flovent 2x a day for Asthma

          In a message dated 8/27/2004 12:34:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "jcat502003" <Jcatj50@...> writes:

          >I have another question this one is on Ivory's heart medication
          >Atenolol.
          >I just read the data sheet on this drug. Some of the side effects
          >were sore throat and shortness of breath or wheezing. There were
          >others but I've been seeing the above 3 in Ivory about an hour after
          >she gets her dose.
          >Has anyone else seen these in there kitties?
          >And if so what do you do?
          >Do they go away or do you have to change the medication?
          >Thanks
          >Ivory and Jodean

        • Sarah
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2004
            My cat has (mild) asthma, so atenolol was not prescribed by his
            cardiologist to treat his HCM as beta blockers can aggravate the
            lungs. He is taking diltiazem, a calcium channel blocker instead.

            Was Ivory ever diagnosed with asthma? I only knew my cat had asthma
            because he had wheezing fits periodically (not very often).

            SAB (Sarah)

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jcat502003" <Jcatj50@A...>