Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Flea control

Expand Messages
  • jen
    Hello All, I m wondering what flea control/prevention methods everyone uses for their HCM kitties. My dog Kira, picked up fleas from another dog this weekend
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26 5:02 AM
    • 0 Attachment
      Hello All,

      I'm wondering what flea control/prevention methods everyone uses for
      their HCM kitties. My dog Kira, picked up fleas from another dog
      this weekend - she is on sentinel so no infestation in the house, but
      I'm worried that Deagan will pick them up. He is not on any flea
      prevention as he is indoor only and I don't like to give him any
      extra stuff.

      Thanks,

      jen, deagan and kira the dog

      Deagan - 3yo DSH, asypmtomatic, Moderate HCM with mild LAE, severe
      LVOT obstruction and SAM of mitral valve; grade IV murmur; Atenolol
      12.5 mg twice daily, CoQ10 30 mg once daily
    • Deena
      ... wrote: I m wondering what flea control/prevention methods everyone uses for their HCM kitties. My dog Kira, picked up fleas from another dog this weekend
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28 8:32 AM
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jen" <lundgren_jennifer@h...>
        wrote: I'm wondering what flea control/prevention methods everyone
        uses for their HCM kitties. My dog Kira, picked up fleas from
        another dog this weekend - she is on sentinel so no infestation in
        the house, but I'm worried that Deagan will pick them up. He is not
        on any flea prevention as he is indoor only and I don't like to give
        him any extra stuff.
        >

        Hi Jen,

        I try to follow the theory that a healthy immune system is the best
        defense against fleas. Pets are designed to coexist with fleas, if
        everything is in balance. But sometimes things get out of whack and
        you need a little help.

        I agree with Rosemary that the least toxic approach is best. Many
        *safer* products are available. (can't say that something that
        KILLS something else is universally safe) Vacuum often and remember
        to put powder in the vaccuum bag since it is a perfect breeding
        ground. For Deag (HCM kitty), I would comb him often and look for
        flea dirt where he sleeps. I would only treat if you find many
        fleas, much flea dirt or he is being bothered by dermatitis. As for
        what to use, I gotta defer to others since I have never had to go
        this far with a cat. I have heard good things about flutterbye,
        though.

        For Kira (doggy), I also would not treat unless its bothering her.
        Buddie's been playing the flea game lately. I blame her favorite
        swimming hole rather than her friends. She's preggo and I think the
        hormones might be making her skin taste better. Because she's PG, I
        also don't want her exposed to uneccessary chemicals right now. I
        comb her often and if I find fleas, she gets a bath. I use 1/2
        natural oatmeal pet shampoo and 1/2 Murphy's Oil Soap. (The old
        fashioned concentrated kind...not the new & improved version).
        Lather up, wait 10 minutes, rinse and you can see the fleas fall
        off. You can also add or increase garlic in her food. This will
        boost her immune system and some feel makes the skin less attractive
        to fleas.

        As for sentinel and similar products, I'm not convinced they work.
        I stopped using Frontline when Mr Pepe still got tick disease after
        being well lathered in FL. Buddie's been FL-free for 2 years now.
        To my surprise, I pull less ticks off her now than when she got
        Frontline monthly. I think it's because her body is now forced to
        deal with them on its own, rather than me doing it for her. As
        always, everyone has their own comfort level and belief system.

        The good news is that fall is coming so those outdoor fleas will
        soon be dead. With good vacuuming, and perhaps some natural
        products, you should be able to get rid of the indoor ones too.
        See, there are advantages to living in a northern climate.

        Just in case I haven't convinced everyone yet that I'm nuts, here's
        Buddie's recent wedding picture:
        http://community.webshots.com/photo/161277856/170078360ScTbDA
        (The crud on the beach was before it got nailed by hurricane
        Charley. Gotta be really gross now.)


        Deena in Mass
        Buddie - what do you mean MillPond has fleas.
        Clara (the new Kitty) - Don't come near me with that hose & shampoo
        Mr Pepe Angel - continues to teach me everyday
      • Sarah
        I asked my cardiologist this same question. She told me it was okay to use advantage on my cat with HCM. SAB (Sarah) ... for ... but ... Atenolol
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          I asked my cardiologist this same question. She told me it was okay
          to use advantage on my cat with HCM.

          SAB (Sarah)

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jen" <lundgren_jennifer@h...>
          wrote:
          > Hello All,
          >
          > I'm wondering what flea control/prevention methods everyone uses
          for
          > their HCM kitties. My dog Kira, picked up fleas from another dog
          > this weekend - she is on sentinel so no infestation in the house,
          but
          > I'm worried that Deagan will pick them up. He is not on any flea
          > prevention as he is indoor only and I don't like to give him any
          > extra stuff.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > jen, deagan and kira the dog
          >
          > Deagan - 3yo DSH, asypmtomatic, Moderate HCM with mild LAE, severe
          > LVOT obstruction and SAM of mitral valve; grade IV murmur;
          Atenolol
          > 12.5 mg twice daily, CoQ10 30 mg once daily
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.