Re: [FH] Digest Number 1623

  • Michelle Waters
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 22, 2004
      Hi Carol,

      I agree that your friend should definitely be working with a holistic vet. BTW,Dandelion is a kidney tonic as well as being an excellent diuretic. We were using both Dandelion and Lasix with Goldenrod; it is likely that your friend will have to use both, but as Sarah says, each cat's situation is different. Deena, who is still on this list I believe, had a lot of success with Dandelion for her cat Mr. Pepe (Deena, are you out there??)

      Michelle

      > Message: 3
      > Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 02:25:55 -0000
      > From: "brinkett" <scrubbrush@...>
      > Subject: Re: Dandelion leaf extract dosage?
      >
      > > Does anyone now what the dosage would be for dandelion leaf extract
      > > for a cat with congestive heart failure? ...To be used as a
      > diuretic
      > > instead of Lasix. It's for a friend of mine's cat who is CRF and
      > CHF.
      >
      > The best thing to do is to have your friend contact a holistic vet,
      > since like most treatments concerning the heart, whether natural or
      > synthetic, it's rarely a one size fits all situation. It's also
      > likely that the extract will have to be used with lasix (rather than
      > instead of it), so a vet should be involved to monitor the doses and
      > change the treatment regimen when required.
      >
      > Sarah.

      view my Eco/Animal art at: http://www.michellewatersart.com
      http://www.dontvoteralph.net

      “I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.”
      — Leonardo da Vinci

    • Carol R.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2004
        Sarah, Deena and Michelle,

        Thanks so much for all the info.

        I have told my friend to try to find a holistic vet to monitor her
        kitty's meds and supplements. She doesn't have one, so I hope she can
        find someone.

        I'll pass along all your information to her. I'm sure it will help
        her a lot. I knew a little bit about what some of the dandelion did,
        but not all of it. I used to give it to my angel Sweetie, but my
        knowledge was limited to just that I knew that the leaf part what
        what was used as a diuretic. I also had to give Sweetie Lasix too,
        but a much smaller dose less often, with giving the two.

        I gave my friend this groups info, so I hope she will join. You folks
        here helped me so much with my Sweetie when she was so sick last year
        at this time, and the things I learned from you helped me keep her
        comfy for her last few months.

        Thanks again, everyone.

        hugs,
        Carol, missing Sweetie
        *Angels Sweetie and Fritzy*
        Puddy Boo Punkie MeanMama and Chelsea

        "I know you're there...a breath away's not far to where you are."