Re: Felix

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
      Hi Heather,

      I am so sorry Felix isn't feeling well. He does need his medication
      in order to get better. In the beginning, I had a TERRIBLE time
      pilling my cat. As well, the pills are so small, he would spit them
      out and I wouldn't notice.

      It helped to get some small gel caps and put all his medicine in the
      gel cap (1/4 tablet diltiazem and 1/2 tablet lasix). I coat the gel
      cap in a little butter (to make it more slippery) and push it
      towards the back of his throat. He doesn't like it, but his other
      option is to die as he was (is) in Congestive Heart Failure 6 weeks
      ago.

      Afterwards, I give him some wet food. His aspirin doesn't fit in
      the gel cap, but fortunately he only gets that every 3 days. Given
      Felix's condition, you may want to take him to the vet for medical
      attention.

      SAB (Sarah)

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <heatherwallace506@a...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone!
      > Felix seems to be going downhill rather quickly the past four
      days... His personality is diminishing, and the effort he makes to
      greet me at the door causes him to get wobbly, and fall. He has been
      rarely walking around, and when he does he looks frustrated,
      agitated and confused. I can't get him to take his medicine, and I
      don't want to keep stressing him out by force feeding it down his
      throat... Do you think he's in pain by the way I described his
      actions? My poor little guy is not himself anymore.
      > Heather & Felix
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
        Heather,

        Rub the pill in butter or something else he likes like
        tuna and get the tuna juice on your fingers. Place it
        on a saucer next to some really yummy treat that he
        will get after pilling.

        Try placing Felix on the back of an upholstered piece
        of furniture like a chair. Move it away from the wall
        if need be so you can stand behind it. He will not be
        able to jump off if his claws are attached and he will
        not be able to scratch at your hand. Stroke the top of
        his head, this is what mom cats do. You can hold his
        body under your armpit and use your other hand to pry
        open his mouth and put the pill in. Stroke his throat
        until he swallows and give him the special treat
        immediately. There are pics in a folder called pilling
        demo in the photos section of this group if my
        description is not clear.

        Susan

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 17, 2004
          > Hi all... When Felix was diagnosed with severe HCM, and all the other stuff, the vet also noted that he has weak femoral pulses to his legs. Well, I have noticed that he seems to "favor" his left hind leg, but today it seems to really be bothering him... He is laying down a lot, and sitting funny. His spirits are good, and have been great the last couple of weeks.. but I am concerned about his leg, and wonder if he's in pain.
          Does this sound like a blood clot is developing?

          Heather and Fee Fee