Re: Felix

  • turkishangoraathumanesociety
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
      Hi Heather... The only way for Felix to get better is to take his
      meds, and regularly. Handle him gently when you are about to give
      them...pet him, etc...and have the med ready to go.... Pop it in at
      the oppotune moment. I know it seems hard and stressful at first, but
      after a while he will prob get used to it, and just sit for it. The
      meds are what will help him get better, along with eating. I know at
      this stage it gets stressful for the caregiver, but you just need to
      revert to survival mose and do what you have to do...Maybe a
      Cardiologist can give you more hints, but it is hard to say how he
      really would be doing if he isn't getting reg meds. Good luck, hope
      he gets well soon...

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <heatherwallace506@a...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone!
      > Felix seems to be going downhill rather quickly the past four
      days... His personality is diminishing, and the effort he makes to
      greet me at the door causes him to get wobbly, and fall. He has been
      rarely walking around, and when he does he looks frustrated, agitated
      and confused. I can't get him to take his medicine, and I don't want
      to keep stressing him out by force feeding it down his throat... Do
      you think he's in pain by the way I described his actions? My poor
      little guy is not himself anymore.
      > Heather & Felix
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
        You might want to compound his medication but that takes a few
        days. In the meantime, it sounds like he might require some
        veterinary attention - have you spoken to your vet or cardiologist
        about his present condition?

        Way back when, when Morag was first diagnosed and we had terrible
        problems pilling her, we boarded her at the vet for the few days
        that it took for her compounded medication to arrive. That way she
        received her medication on time for those few days with much less
        stress than if we were trying to give it, and she got lots of visits
        from us too.

        Eventually we were able to pill Morag the conventional way - it
        helped a lot to have compounded meds in the beginning and then
        gradually taper them off as pills took over, and to know that we had
        some compounded treats on hand in case we needed them.

        Sarah.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <heatherwallace506@a...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone!
        > Felix seems to be going downhill rather quickly the past four
        days... His personality is diminishing, and the effort he makes to
        greet me at the door causes him to get wobbly, and fall. He has been
        rarely walking around, and when he does he looks frustrated,
        agitated and confused. I can't get him to take his medicine, and I
        don't want to keep stressing him out by force feeding it down his
        throat... Do you think he's in pain by the way I described his
        actions? My poor little guy is not himself anymore.
        > Heather & Felix
      • Sarah
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
          Hi Heather,

          I am so sorry Felix isn't feeling well. He does need his medication
          in order to get better. In the beginning, I had a TERRIBLE time
          pilling my cat. As well, the pills are so small, he would spit them
          out and I wouldn't notice.

          It helped to get some small gel caps and put all his medicine in the
          gel cap (1/4 tablet diltiazem and 1/2 tablet lasix). I coat the gel
          cap in a little butter (to make it more slippery) and push it
          towards the back of his throat. He doesn't like it, but his other
          option is to die as he was (is) in Congestive Heart Failure 6 weeks
          ago.

          Afterwards, I give him some wet food. His aspirin doesn't fit in
          the gel cap, but fortunately he only gets that every 3 days. Given
          Felix's condition, you may want to take him to the vet for medical
          attention.

          SAB (Sarah)

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <heatherwallace506@a...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone!
          > Felix seems to be going downhill rather quickly the past four
          days... His personality is diminishing, and the effort he makes to
          greet me at the door causes him to get wobbly, and fall. He has been
          rarely walking around, and when he does he looks frustrated,
          agitated and confused. I can't get him to take his medicine, and I
          don't want to keep stressing him out by force feeding it down his
          throat... Do you think he's in pain by the way I described his
          actions? My poor little guy is not himself anymore.
          > Heather & Felix
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
            Heather,

            Rub the pill in butter or something else he likes like
            tuna and get the tuna juice on your fingers. Place it
            on a saucer next to some really yummy treat that he
            will get after pilling.

            Try placing Felix on the back of an upholstered piece
            of furniture like a chair. Move it away from the wall
            if need be so you can stand behind it. He will not be
            able to jump off if his claws are attached and he will
            not be able to scratch at your hand. Stroke the top of
            his head, this is what mom cats do. You can hold his
            body under your armpit and use your other hand to pry
            open his mouth and put the pill in. Stroke his throat
            until he swallows and give him the special treat
            immediately. There are pics in a folder called pilling
            demo in the photos section of this group if my
            description is not clear.

            Susan

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 17, 2004
              > Hi all... When Felix was diagnosed with severe HCM, and all the other stuff, the vet also noted that he has weak femoral pulses to his legs. Well, I have noticed that he seems to "favor" his left hind leg, but today it seems to really be bothering him... He is laying down a lot, and sitting funny. His spirits are good, and have been great the last couple of weeks.. but I am concerned about his leg, and wonder if he's in pain.
              Does this sound like a blood clot is developing?

              Heather and Fee Fee