Felix

  • heatherwallace506@adelphia.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
      Hi everyone!
      Felix seems to be going downhill rather quickly the past four days... His personality is diminishing, and the effort he makes to greet me at the door causes him to get wobbly, and fall. He has been rarely walking around, and when he does he looks frustrated, agitated and confused. I can't get him to take his medicine, and I don't want to keep stressing him out by force feeding it down his throat... Do you think he's in pain by the way I described his actions? My poor little guy is not himself anymore.
      Heather & Felix
    • turkishangoraathumanesociety
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
        Hi Heather... The only way for Felix to get better is to take his
        meds, and regularly. Handle him gently when you are about to give
        them...pet him, etc...and have the med ready to go.... Pop it in at
        the oppotune moment. I know it seems hard and stressful at first, but
        after a while he will prob get used to it, and just sit for it. The
        meds are what will help him get better, along with eating. I know at
        this stage it gets stressful for the caregiver, but you just need to
        revert to survival mose and do what you have to do...Maybe a
        Cardiologist can give you more hints, but it is hard to say how he
        really would be doing if he isn't getting reg meds. Good luck, hope
        he gets well soon...

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <heatherwallace506@a...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone!
        > Felix seems to be going downhill rather quickly the past four
        days... His personality is diminishing, and the effort he makes to
        greet me at the door causes him to get wobbly, and fall. He has been
        rarely walking around, and when he does he looks frustrated, agitated
        and confused. I can't get him to take his medicine, and I don't want
        to keep stressing him out by force feeding it down his throat... Do
        you think he's in pain by the way I described his actions? My poor
        little guy is not himself anymore.
        > Heather & Felix
      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
          You might want to compound his medication but that takes a few
          days. In the meantime, it sounds like he might require some
          veterinary attention - have you spoken to your vet or cardiologist
          about his present condition?

          Way back when, when Morag was first diagnosed and we had terrible
          problems pilling her, we boarded her at the vet for the few days
          that it took for her compounded medication to arrive. That way she
          received her medication on time for those few days with much less
          stress than if we were trying to give it, and she got lots of visits
          from us too.

          Eventually we were able to pill Morag the conventional way - it
          helped a lot to have compounded meds in the beginning and then
          gradually taper them off as pills took over, and to know that we had
          some compounded treats on hand in case we needed them.

          Sarah.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <heatherwallace506@a...> wrote:
          > Hi everyone!
          > Felix seems to be going downhill rather quickly the past four
          days... His personality is diminishing, and the effort he makes to
          greet me at the door causes him to get wobbly, and fall. He has been
          rarely walking around, and when he does he looks frustrated,
          agitated and confused. I can't get him to take his medicine, and I
          don't want to keep stressing him out by force feeding it down his
          throat... Do you think he's in pain by the way I described his
          actions? My poor little guy is not himself anymore.
          > Heather & Felix
        • Sarah
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
            Hi Heather,

            I am so sorry Felix isn't feeling well. He does need his medication
            in order to get better. In the beginning, I had a TERRIBLE time
            pilling my cat. As well, the pills are so small, he would spit them
            out and I wouldn't notice.

            It helped to get some small gel caps and put all his medicine in the
            gel cap (1/4 tablet diltiazem and 1/2 tablet lasix). I coat the gel
            cap in a little butter (to make it more slippery) and push it
            towards the back of his throat. He doesn't like it, but his other
            option is to die as he was (is) in Congestive Heart Failure 6 weeks
            ago.

            Afterwards, I give him some wet food. His aspirin doesn't fit in
            the gel cap, but fortunately he only gets that every 3 days. Given
            Felix's condition, you may want to take him to the vet for medical
            attention.

            SAB (Sarah)

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <heatherwallace506@a...> wrote:
            > Hi everyone!
            > Felix seems to be going downhill rather quickly the past four
            days... His personality is diminishing, and the effort he makes to
            greet me at the door causes him to get wobbly, and fall. He has been
            rarely walking around, and when he does he looks frustrated,
            agitated and confused. I can't get him to take his medicine, and I
            don't want to keep stressing him out by force feeding it down his
            throat... Do you think he's in pain by the way I described his
            actions? My poor little guy is not himself anymore.
            > Heather & Felix
          • Susan
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 4, 2004
              Heather,

              Rub the pill in butter or something else he likes like
              tuna and get the tuna juice on your fingers. Place it
              on a saucer next to some really yummy treat that he
              will get after pilling.

              Try placing Felix on the back of an upholstered piece
              of furniture like a chair. Move it away from the wall
              if need be so you can stand behind it. He will not be
              able to jump off if his claws are attached and he will
              not be able to scratch at your hand. Stroke the top of
              his head, this is what mom cats do. You can hold his
              body under your armpit and use your other hand to pry
              open his mouth and put the pill in. Stroke his throat
              until he swallows and give him the special treat
              immediately. There are pics in a folder called pilling
              demo in the photos section of this group if my
              description is not clear.

              Susan

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 17, 2004
                > Hi all... When Felix was diagnosed with severe HCM, and all the other stuff, the vet also noted that he has weak femoral pulses to his legs. Well, I have noticed that he seems to "favor" his left hind leg, but today it seems to really be bothering him... He is laying down a lot, and sitting funny. His spirits are good, and have been great the last couple of weeks.. but I am concerned about his leg, and wonder if he's in pain.
                Does this sound like a blood clot is developing?

                Heather and Fee Fee