It's my first time on here this morning just came across the site
whilst looking for more information.
I have a 2 cats who have just turned 1 years old & are brothers.
They are Colourpointed Britsh Shorthairs. Barney was diagnosed with
a heart mumur at 5 months of age, I was given the option by my
regular vet to wait & see if he out grew it or go & see a
cardiorespiratory specialist, which I opt'd for. He did an ECG
etc... & was quite positive on the future.
However Barney was a little off colour one day so I took him to see
my vet, who gave him an anti-inflammatory jab, the following morning
I got up to find he couldn't breathe so I took him straight down to
the vets who put him straight into a oxygen tent & sent me away.
They contact the cardio specialist who wanted to see him but as
Barney wasn't stable enough the vet wouldn't risk it. In the end I
decided to risk it & took him over, luckily he isn't too far away.
He said he thought the anti-inflamatory jab had caused it & the next
24 hours would be crucial.
48 hours later I brought him home & he was on medication, this was
back in May.
Last week I took him back to see how he was doing & they did another
heart scan.. The cardio specialst is really pleased with his
progress & has stopped all medication. He has been diagnosed with
I am really concerned he isn't on any medication but the specialist
said as it is only mild any medication at this stage will not help.
The other good news is his mumur has disappeared although he said he
might develop a different one in time.
I just wanted to share my story with some of you & I'm thankful I
- Hi all,
I just found out about this group. I have a 2 year old Maine Coon diagnosed with HCM. SO far she doesn't need medication but I have to get her checked out twice a year. I lost my 14 year old Maine Coon to undiagnosed HCM so I am being extra careful now. I look forward to being a part of the group.