Re: [FH] We can't find the right vet!

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      Jess,

      I just went to http://acvim.org and looked first for
      cardiologists in CT. I did not find any but I found
      several small animal internists:

      Peterson, Erik Nels Granby, CT
      Carter, Wayne O Groton, CT
      Holzworth, Jean New Preston, CT
      Berkwitt, Larry Norwalk, CT
      Wood, Emilia F. Ridgefield, CT
      Knaack, Kenneth E. W. Hartford, CT
      Toomey, Jane Marie Woodstock, CT

      Internists are qualified to treat HCM and do have
      ultrasound equipment. Rudy's vet is an internist
      rather than a cardiologist. Hope this helps.

      Susan

      --- Jess <metpecker@...> wrote:

      > Hello All,
      > My husband and I just moved to a new house, about
      > 40
      > minutes from the vet we've known & trusted to deal
      > with our Max's HCM since he was diagnosed. We
      > didn't
      > realize how difficult it would be to find another
      > vet
      > who would be equipped to deal with HCM (I've been
      > told
      > it's not that uncommon a condition as far as
      > conditions go). Our vet told us to find a facility
      > that was equipped with an ultrasound machine so they
      > could check Maxy's heart regularly. I've called
      > around our new area, but no one seems equipped or
      > AAHA
      > certified. Does anyone have any advice for us? We
      > are afraid to drive Max a total of 80 minutes back &
      > forth, because the car completely stresses him out.
      > Needless to say, with a kitty with HCM, it was kind
      > of
      > nice to have someone close by in case of emergency.
      > We've got 2 other cats as well, and I don't want to
      > drive them 80 minutes either if I don't have to. We
      > live in Connecticut - does anyone know of a good vet
      > in the Danbury area? Thanks for any advice you can
      > give me!
      > - Jess :)

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • diane
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        Peterson is the traveling cardiologist we use, but probably too far
        away for Jess.

        My own vet is not in there which is why I don't consider those lists
        100% accurate.

        Diane

        At 2:19 PM -0700 8/3/04, Susan wrote:
        >Jess,
        >
        >I just went to http://acvim.org and looked first for
        >cardiologists in CT. I did not find any but I found
        >several small animal internists:
        >
        >Peterson, Erik Nels Granby, CT
        >Carter, Wayne O Groton, CT
        >Holzworth, Jean New Preston, CT
        >Berkwitt, Larry Norwalk, CT
        >Wood, Emilia F. Ridgefield, CT
        >Knaack, Kenneth E. W. Hartford, CT
        >Toomey, Jane Marie Woodstock, CT
        >
        >Internists are qualified to treat HCM and do have
        >ultrasound equipment. Rudy's vet is an internist
        >rather than a cardiologist. Hope this helps.

        Susan
      • betty_boop_ct
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
          Hi Jess,

          I know how difficult and stressful this can be. I have lived in
          Danbury for the past 6 years. I use Bethel Village Square Animal
          Hospital for routine care and Dr. Roumanis--vet cardiologist at the
          Berkshire Animal Hospital in Sandy Hook (15 minutes rom Danbury)for
          Smokey's subaortic stenosis care.

          I sent you a private message with more information.

          Please let me know how I can help you...

          Lisa