We can't find the right vet!

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hello All,
      My husband and I just moved to a new house, about 40
      minutes from the vet we've known & trusted to deal
      with our Max's HCM since he was diagnosed. We didn't
      realize how difficult it would be to find another vet
      who would be equipped to deal with HCM (I've been told
      it's not that uncommon a condition as far as
      conditions go). Our vet told us to find a facility
      that was equipped with an ultrasound machine so they
      could check Maxy's heart regularly. I've called
      around our new area, but no one seems equipped or AAHA
      certified. Does anyone have any advice for us? We
      are afraid to drive Max a total of 80 minutes back &
      forth, because the car completely stresses him out.
      Needless to say, with a kitty with HCM, it was kind of
      nice to have someone close by in case of emergency.
      We've got 2 other cats as well, and I don't want to
      drive them 80 minutes either if I don't have to. We
      live in Connecticut - does anyone know of a good vet
      in the Danbury area? Thanks for any advice you can
      give me!
      - Jess :)
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
        Jess,

        I just went to http://acvim.org and looked first for
        cardiologists in CT. I did not find any but I found
        several small animal internists:

        Peterson, Erik Nels Granby, CT
        Carter, Wayne O Groton, CT
        Holzworth, Jean New Preston, CT
        Berkwitt, Larry Norwalk, CT
        Wood, Emilia F. Ridgefield, CT
        Knaack, Kenneth E. W. Hartford, CT
        Toomey, Jane Marie Woodstock, CT

        Internists are qualified to treat HCM and do have
        ultrasound equipment. Rudy's vet is an internist
        rather than a cardiologist. Hope this helps.

        Susan

        --- Jess <metpecker@...> wrote:

        > Hello All,
        > My husband and I just moved to a new house, about
        > 40
        > minutes from the vet we've known & trusted to deal
        > with our Max's HCM since he was diagnosed. We
        > didn't
        > realize how difficult it would be to find another
        > vet
        > who would be equipped to deal with HCM (I've been
        > told
        > it's not that uncommon a condition as far as
        > conditions go). Our vet told us to find a facility
        > that was equipped with an ultrasound machine so they
        > could check Maxy's heart regularly. I've called
        > around our new area, but no one seems equipped or
        > AAHA
        > certified. Does anyone have any advice for us? We
        > are afraid to drive Max a total of 80 minutes back &
        > forth, because the car completely stresses him out.
        > Needless to say, with a kitty with HCM, it was kind
        > of
        > nice to have someone close by in case of emergency.
        > We've got 2 other cats as well, and I don't want to
        > drive them 80 minutes either if I don't have to. We
        > live in Connecticut - does anyone know of a good vet
        > in the Danbury area? Thanks for any advice you can
        > give me!
        > - Jess :)

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • diane
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2004
          Peterson is the traveling cardiologist we use, but probably too far
          away for Jess.

          My own vet is not in there which is why I don't consider those lists
          100% accurate.

          Diane

          At 2:19 PM -0700 8/3/04, Susan wrote:
          >Jess,
          >
          >I just went to http://acvim.org and looked first for
          >cardiologists in CT. I did not find any but I found
          >several small animal internists:
          >
          >Peterson, Erik Nels Granby, CT
          >Carter, Wayne O Groton, CT
          >Holzworth, Jean New Preston, CT
          >Berkwitt, Larry Norwalk, CT
          >Wood, Emilia F. Ridgefield, CT
          >Knaack, Kenneth E. W. Hartford, CT
          >Toomey, Jane Marie Woodstock, CT
          >
          >Internists are qualified to treat HCM and do have
          >ultrasound equipment. Rudy's vet is an internist
          >rather than a cardiologist. Hope this helps.

          Susan
        • betty_boop_ct
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 10, 2004
            Hi Jess,

            I know how difficult and stressful this can be. I have lived in
            Danbury for the past 6 years. I use Bethel Village Square Animal
            Hospital for routine care and Dr. Roumanis--vet cardiologist at the
            Berkshire Animal Hospital in Sandy Hook (15 minutes rom Danbury)for
            Smokey's subaortic stenosis care.

            I sent you a private message with more information.

            Please let me know how I can help you...

            Lisa