RE: [FH] OT Rabies, Not a cat issue
- For this, and so many other reasons, it's important to have a vet we can
trust! In our circumstances, every little detail can become a bigger
one with even bigger consequences: my advice is to call your vet.....
From: Lois Benes at Cox [mailto:lkbenes@...]
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 9:48 AM
To: Tia; firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject: RE: [FH] OT Rabies, Not a cat issue
Rabies - a kitten issue. One more reason to appreciate this group. I
have two young (5 mos and 3 mos) ragdolls. The vet gave the oldest,
Winston, his rabies shot at about 4 months and he had a reaction (shock)
that required immediate emergency care. I have LEARNED that the kittens
will carry the rabies antibodies from their mother until about 6 months
and that is why this particular vaccination needs to wait until the
kitten is at least 6 months of age. I had been told to wait by the
breeder, I just hadn't
re-read the instructions. Mea culpa! Daisy, the youngest, will not be
going through that trauma. Thanks, Tia, for bringing up the subject.
Lois (Mom to Murphy (lost to HCM), Winston and Daisy)
I apologize for this off topic post but I respect all of you too much to
not wish for your input now.
We're having a rabies outbreak in our area and you all know what I think
of rabies vaccines. We do have our dogs vaccinated every three and a
half years though (I try to keep it just under the line so that the vet
will not insist on the one year shot)
Yesterday my rottie caught a groundhog and killed it. :( I called the
health department this am and they say there is a low incidence of
rabies in groundhogs however they had three others reported this weekend
so they are taking the body and shipping it to Columbus for testing.
They've advised me to have my dog vaccinated with a booster. We don't
KNOW that this groundhog had rabies. Does anyone have any experience
with this? She's due for another shot in November anyway but I've always
heard that 3 year shots can last well longer than 3 years and I sure
don't want to vaccinate unless it's necessary (I know that my vet would
tell me to vaccinate).
Tia (Oz with HCM's Mom)
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your reply
will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to
Yahoo! Groups Links