OT Rabies, Not a cat issue

  • Tia
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2 6:26 AM
      I apologize for this off topic post but I respect all of you too much to not wish for your input now.

      We're having a rabies outbreak in our area and you all know what I think of rabies vaccines. We do have our dogs vaccinated every three and a half years though (I try to keep it just under the line so that the vet will not insist on the one year shot)

      Yesterday my rottie caught a groundhog and killed it. :( I called the health department this am and they say there is a low incidence of rabies in groundhogs however they had three others reported this weekend so they are taking the body and shipping it to Columbus for testing.

      They've advised me to have my dog vaccinated with a booster. We don't KNOW that this groundhog had rabies. Does anyone have any experience with this? She's due for another shot in November anyway but I've always heard that 3 year shots can last well longer than 3 years and I sure don't want to vaccinate unless it's necessary (I know that my vet would tell me to vaccinate).

      Tia (Oz with HCM's Mom)

    • Lois Benes at Cox
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2 7:47 AM
        Rabies - a kitten issue. One more reason to appreciate this group. I have
        two young (5 mos and 3 mos) ragdolls. The vet gave the oldest, Winston, his
        rabies shot at about 4 months and he had a reaction (shock) that required
        immediate emergency care. I have LEARNED that the kittens will carry the
        rabies antibodies from their mother until about 6 months and that is why
        this particular vaccination needs to wait until the kitten is at least 6
        months of age. I had been told to wait by the breeder, I just hadn't
        re-read the instructions. Mea culpa! Daisy, the youngest, will not be
        going through that trauma. Thanks, Tia, for bringing up the subject.

        Lois (Mom to Murphy (lost to HCM), Winston and Daisy)

[...]

      • Linda CuĂ©llar Irrgang
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2 8:05 AM
          For this, and so many other reasons, it's important to have a vet we can
          trust! In our circumstances, every little detail can become a bigger
          one with even bigger consequences: my advice is to call your vet.....

[...]

          feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
          Yahoo! Groups Links