[FH] Re: Pumpkin

  • Heather Grace
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      Hi Heather,

      > 1. Why do the vets continually give sombering prognosis';
      Many cats die suddenly from heart disease. A lot of times people
      don't know their cat had heart disease until after their cat has
      died. I had a cat who died last year very "suddenly" on me. I was
      able to get him to the vet the day before he died (he started having
      these weird comatose-like seizures) and I was told that he had a loud
      heart murmur. He had a full blood workup done that came out normal,
      but Sweetie died before we could do any further testing.

      Purcy's vet & cardiologist have never given me a prognosis on how
      long they think he'll live, but I was told from day one to be
      prepared to take him to the emergency vet at anytime, and that Purcy
      could go downhill quickly and that he was at risk for developing a
      blood clot.

      > 2. If your cat has been diagnoses with severe HCM and has lived
      many years beyond the diagnosis date, how do your cats act?
      > a. do they act like they don't feel good everyday?
      Purcy was only dx'd just over a year ago, but in the beginning I
      never thought that he'd live this long. For the first six months
      Purcy was lethargic all the time, would only eat a little (he was
      anorexic at first), and he wanted to be alone. He looked very
      depressed, and I'm sure that most of what I saw was him grieving over
      the death of his best furbuddy, but before he was put on Lasix he
      sounded like he was congested so breathing was becoming labored for
      him.

      Now he is doing ok as far as I know, although the vet said he heard
      some fluid in his lungs (this is new for Purcy; his lungs have always
      been clear). Purcy is due to see his cardiologist soon for his 6-
      month check up so I'll probably have him get a chest x-ray as well as
      an ultrasound when he goes in. But as for how he's acting now, he
      still likes to sleep a lot, but he also loves to go outside and watch
      squirrels. He's seven and doesn't really play anymore, but sometimes
      I see him running about when he's outside and he looks like he's
      having fun with the other cats. Purcy is usually "perky" when I get
      up in the morning, hoping I'll let him go outside, and again at
      dinnertime. If he's not perky at all and food doesn't interest him,
      then I know something's wrong with him, like when he had an URI and a
      fever not too long ago.

      > b. has it still been hard for them to play?
      Purcy isn't really interested in playing so I can't answer this
      question. It sounds like your Felix is probably over exerting
      himself when he plays. I don't know what you can do to get him to
      play less, though.

      > My Felix seems to be doing "okay". He isn't himself, but he still
      is eating and drinking and wants to play, but then flops on the floor
      because, i guess, he feels winded or can't breathe well.
      > Heather & Felix--7 years old, severe HCM with low blood pressure,
      dilatezem and baby aspirin.

      I hope that Felix will live a long time with his HCM. You are doing
      a great job taking care of him!

      (another) Heather

      =====
      Purcy: Male Himalayan, diagnosed 07-2003 at 6 years of age with HCM
      with severe mitral valve regurgitation and mild left atrial
      enlargement, slight pericardial effusion: grade 3 murmur Left apical
      & grade 2 Right sided systolic murmur, Enalapril Maleate 1.25 mg 1x
      day, Furosemide (Lasix) 6.25 mg 2x day, 1 aspirin 81 mg every three
      days administered via pilling.